McDonald's

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We still have a couple in West Sussex :) I've always thought of them as McDonald's with cutlery

We had one in Weymouth 40 years ago.. They are very few and far between compared to the Mc's. Have never been in a Wimpy, didn't like the idea as a kid of burgers in buns....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Exactly Noblehead we will never be able to go with whatever they may say is D friendly...it would probably just mean lower sugar anyway as low carbs would not mean anything to them and why should it Why would we expect eateries to cater for us especially if they did that they would have to cater for every type of diet Every place every portion size and every diabetic is different and we all eat differently so it would be impossible for eating places to do diabetic friendly meals we just have to tweak what they have to suit ourself

Quite right Annie. In the past we have had members asking if the possibility of opening a Diabetic Cafe/Restaurant was feasible, the general consensus of the forum was always negative with the feedback that it just wouldn't work.

Reactions: 2 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently there are 90 Wimpy's around the UK http://www.wimpy.uk.com/locator

I do eat at burger places. I throw away the bun and don't eat all the chips. Bacon double cheeseburger at Burger King has no sauces and is easy to throw away the bun.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I prefer Burger King . Wendy's was really good but now not in the uk. Wimpy anyone ??

I don't like McDonald's food as it's all a bit tasteless, however given the choice I'd opt for a Burger King any-time, their flame grilled burgers are very nice.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer Little Chefs for their Big Breakfasts, but again they are far and few between these days.

A

AnnieC

I don't like McDonald's food as it's all a bit tasteless, however given the choice I'd opt for a Burger King any-time, their flame grilled burgers are very nice.
Yes I agree with that Burger King burgers are far better we have one occasionally just don't eat the bun

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

forrTalking of McDonalds when my daughter and her friend were teenagers they worked in McDonalds part time while they were at college her friend was and still is a vegetarian so she used to have a Big Mac without the burger just had the salad and cheese. She still asked for a Big Mac without the burger even when they had stopped working there she must have been one of very few who would go into any McDonalds and ask for that

Last edited:

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We still have a couple in West Sussex :) I've always thought of them as McDonald's with cutlery
Burger King with different munu. Don't know now but we're owned by same company. Quite a few about.

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought as much, McDonald's were one of the first fast food chains to include the nutritional information for their products, couldn't imagine they would stop including it now.
all good and well if you're sitting in but if it was drive through like mine then it's not included.

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every thing you need to know is in Carbs and Cals under Takeaways then scroll down to McDonalds there is a mobile app as well saves carting book around with you :)
they don't have the app n the Windows platform though which is what I use. You can of course still get all the info in the McDonalds website but it's just disappointing that I now have to go searching for it rather than it being on the box for me. I mean, who wants to know the amount of saturates in it? Surely carbs is more valuable, even to a non diabetic?

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer Burger King too, but sometimes it's just about which one you're driving past lol

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although not the healthiest option for eating out, I've always found the likes of McDonalds one of the best for telling me the carb content. If I was to eat in a restaurant it would all be guess work.
I guess if you were at the drive thru you could ask for one of the tray inserts for the carbs.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was put off Burger King years ago when I saw them microwaving burgers.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dunno what the manufacturers are thinking, if they want food to be more diabetic friendly, then they should change the sugar on the traffic light colours/symbols to Carbohydrate since they are both the same whether you're diabetic or not, both provide energy, just one is faster acting than the other. Parents of children often think of sugar as an enemy and carbohydrate as a necessity in their childrens diet. You pretty much get the same carbs in a large milkshake at McDonalds as one portion of large fries, where milkshake would be sugar, fries would be carbohydrates.

I'm no scientist but they both act the same, however when there is a 3:2 ratio for milkshake as an example where 3 represents the overall carbohydate content and 2 would be sugar, sometimes all the carbs are sugar in milkshakes, there can't be more sugar than carbohydrate as they are the same other than the fact I stated above that one acts faster than the other, all i'm saying is carbohydrate on the labelling is much more important to diabetics than people without rather than having just sugars.

If you have access to their website, just plan what you are gonna have, and inject your insulin with whatever amount according to how much carbs you are going to have.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@nmr1991 without realising it, your post makes it clear why the general public tends not to worry over carbs.