Medical alert

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently diagnosed from type 2 to LADA 1.5. If something was to happen when out and about and your alone. Does anyone use a medical alert tag, bracelet card etc to let people know? Or is it being to cautious??

ricke17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have a Medic Alert dog tag but the yearly subscription increased to about £30 and I ended up cancelling. I have since carried information in my wallet about my medication/diabetes and also ordered a USB stick which carries all my medical problems/meds on it. Sometimes, IMHO, companies can scaremonger in order to gain customers.

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I just read up about the subscription can be quite a lot for people that don’t have a lot I know can be a life saving thing but there are other ways of doing things. I just didn’t want to look silly if I had something for no reason x

ricke17

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The subs are expensive but I suppose you’re paying for piece of mind. The medical USB I got has an engraving on the back and you just update the info on it periodically

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds quite good is it a normal usb?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many of us do wear something and you won't look silly with someting around your neck or arm that says you have diabetes. Some of us even use a tattoo. Only the type1 deely boppers mentioned in another thread this week might be a bit over the top. Here's a link to the other thread, lots of useful comments as well: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-you-have-diabetes.132566/page-3#post-1674447
Personally, I don't wear anything (exept a 'powered by insulin' shirt, but only sometimes). I reckon someone will call an ambulance should I be found unconcious, and I believe they test blood sugar right after seeing you're not bleeding to death, have a heartbeat and are breathing. Seems fine to me. My phone is unlocked, so they'll probably try to call someone. That someone will tell them I have diabetes. And I usually carry insulin or my meter in my pockets, which spells diabetes clearly enough.
Maybe I would act differently had I had a real bad hypo in the past.