Wear a bracelet that says you have diabetes!

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can't "fight through" a hypo! It's not like a headache lol

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Jeesh, you guys are missing the obvious solution on the T1 emergency identification front....deely boppers with T1 printed on the fluffy bits...

Sorry, I'll get me coat...

Reactions: becca59 and stewpid

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Why not? As @phdiabetic says, it could save your life one day and also help the poor shmuck who finds you on your lips, to paraphrase @TheBigNewt. My father wore a penicillin alert one constantly - he worked in remote places around the world with not the greatest healthcare - and it saved his life at least twice. It's a piece of jewellery like any other, but carries a vital message: his was discreet, 'manly' and was just a part of him. You have a habit of turning any positive suggestion into a negative, and @TheBigNewt's post is an important and positive one, and a great idea.
I'm 5 months new T1 and I haven't worn anything thinking "Yey" I'm OK" but if I go funny and end up on the floor, the onlookers don't know why so form of ID is the best form of best self help

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
If I ever get to the point where I am unconscious due to some awful diabetic complication I'm not sure I want anyone reviving me. Can I get a wrist band that says "do not resuscitate?"

I think this is a perspective thing and I am starting to get the idea that my perspective is very different to that of someone who got this disease at the age of 6. My attitude is that I want to get as far away from it as possible and bury it as deep as I can, the last thing I would want to do is put it on a T shirt, "look at me, I'm broken."

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi, I hope your spirit is higher today. Interesting NoKindOfSusie about how we feel when we find we've got diabetes.Obviously not 6 in your case. To be honest though, it doesn't matter when you become diabetic, it's still a life rocking moment. I can't hide from my body and what all the silly immune stuff is doing but I can make sure I have a brilliant life, enjoy everything and have little tags that tell others that this little smart **** lady is not for putting down. I'm hoping my bracelet arrives soon. I loathe and detest with a vengence that I have diabetes and that's why I'm going to do lots of positive good stuff to kick the heck out of it. Positive thinking makes postive feeling and it works

Last edited by a moderator:

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
20180119_210220.jpg

That's my hair ripping bracelet. Fully engraved with my details on. Covered with lovely bit of kitchen roll.

Reactions: Dodo

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jeesh, you guys are missing the obvious solution on the T1 emergency identification front....deely boppers with T1 printed on the fluffy bits...

Yet again you amaze.
I thought the knowledge with the Bluetooth xdrip + , connected to whatever it's connected to was amazing.
But now you sling in........deely boppers..........yes I had to google deely boppers.
You're a mine of information.
Yet again you've given me previously unknown knowledge.:):):)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I loathe and detest with a vengence that I have diabetes and that's why I'm going to do lots of positive good stuff to kick the heck out of it.

There's another way of looking at it, Sue. It might sound a bit hippyish, but I can assure you I'm not a Grauniad reading tree hugger.

My take on it is that a part of my body hasn't worked out that well, so I need to help it, me, in much the same way I'd help my nephew when he falls off his bike.

That way, I feel that I'm not fighting an enemy when I'm coaxing bg back into range, I'm just co-operating with a thing I know can be unpredictable at times but is essentially part of me now. There's no point in fighting myself. There are ways of co-operating with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yet again you amaze.
I thought the knowledge with the Bluetooth xdrip + , connected to whatever it's connected to was amazing.
But now you sling in........deely boppers..........yes I had to google deely boppers.
When I first read @Scott-C 's post I thought ah well, let it go, never mind that I'm Dutch and don't know what deely boppers are. After your answer I thought what the heck, I'll google. You should have warned me. Now my keyboard is all sticky with my spit out drink. Thanks. Luckily my drink was cheap and my keyboard came from the thrift store. Where do I get insulin dependent deely boppers? I so need those in my life!

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidK59

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey NoKindofSusie, keep posting!! You are full of angst and for good reason - same reason we all here on the Forum have.....we have diabetes which equates to a "broken" body that can't fix itself without some kind of intervention. It sucks but it is reality. We tell everyone to rant away and that it is safe to do so here.....I say to everyone, give Susie a break!! Be non-judgmental!! Susie is not looking for advise right now, just needs to sound off. (At least that is what it seems like, right Susie?) Go for it Susie and I promise one day you will begin to see a tiny bit of hope and happiness. Blessings/L

Reactions: Dodo

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have diabetes I.D. on me at all times.
Medical information in wallet.
Dog tag necklace.
Diabetic tattoo on inner left forearm.

Let's remember it's not only times of being hypo that we may need urgent medical assistance. The more they know about us, the less surprised they'll be when we go HYPO CRAZY:):):):)

Very true, especially since diabetics are more likely to have other medical conditions.

I have postural hypotension, and my blood pressure is on the lower end of normal. Quite a few times I've been walking around the house only to find myself flat on the floor the next second. Luckily my mum didn't give me glucagon since she correctly decided my blood pressure had dropped - I went from walking and talking perfectly normally one second to unconscious on the ground the next, and she concluded that it couldn't possibly be low blood sugar.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hehehe
I have had a few of them... Education is the toughest part. There was a new project manager, I was working with this week. A very forceful person e.g. I was getting a sandwich for lunch and I asked the sandwich lady for Avocado. This PM was beside me and barked at the sandwich lady NO Avocado. after 3 min of me say Avocado please, the sandwich lady wouldn't give it to me. I was paying for it. I told this PM I was D and I got a small bag of Jelly beans. She took them off me and lectured me. I told her they were my medicine. I'm just as forceful as her, only I don't bully. I dread having a good Hypo around her.

A bracelet will not help in that situation. She wouldn't even call for help. I tried explaining to her and she put her fingers in her ears and carried on nah nah nah nah. She knows all about it and no will tell her different. Oh she is mid 40's.

Hope you reported her: bullying, dangerous, nasty! I know every good story has an element of reconstruction but recognise a little of the knowall in that character.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yet again you amaze.

Yep, I have seen the future...Fiasp, cgm, artificial pancreases, they're all over-rated, we just need deely boppers with T1 printed on them!

Maybe this would do as a stop gap till research money comes in...

images (4).jpg

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scott-C .
This is amazing.
First thing this morning decided to walk to my local Claire's Accessories ( 7 miles each way ) and purchase some deely boppers.
Got some lovely ones, hard to make a choice so purchased 10 pairs for just £11.50.
Was so thrilled I decided to wear a pair for the walk home ( purple butterflies ).
During the walk home, cars and lorries kept sounding their horns and the drivers shouting things at me. Amazingly when I checked my BS levels I was 3.1, this obviously explains why so many people were trying to attract my attention.
It's deely boppers all the way from now on.;);););)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Scott-C .
This is amazing.
First thing this morning decided to walk to my local Claire's Accessories ( 7 miles each way ) and purchase some deely boppers.
Got some lovely ones, hard to make a choice so purchased 10 pairs for just £11.50.
Was so thrilled I decided to wear a pair for the walk home ( purple butterflies ).
During the walk home, cars and lorries kept sounding their horns and the drivers shouting things at me. Amazingly when I checked my BS levels I was 3.1, this obviously explains why so many people were trying to attract my attention.
It's deely boppers all the way from now on.;);););)

It works, it works!

Reactions: Antje77

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Where do I get insulin dependent deely boppers? I so need those in my life!

Making them could be a lucrative sideline for me! Will have to adjourn to the pub to think up marketing slogans: "Ya won't drop if ya deely bop!" "Stop the drop with deely bop."

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've seen these but never heard the name of them before...thanks for the laugh ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2 diet controlled, so in this thread I am a member of the general public. If I see someone with hypo symptoms and they are confirmed by their bracelet as a T1 what should I do?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T2 diet controlled, so in this thread I am a member of the general public. If I see someone with hypo symptoms and they are confirmed by their bracelet as a T1 what should I do?

Unconscious? Ring an ambulance and let them know about the tag, semi conscious? Ring an ambulance the same, then ask them if they've glucose on them if you can get any sense out of them :) help them drink a fruit juice/can of pop/eat glucose/jelly babies and try and keep them sat down :)

I have heard they can be awkward though :oops: :rolleyes: :banghead:

Reactions: Grant_Vicat