Medical driving licence no longer required - what to do?

Willeth

Hi folks, I was diagnosed diabetic in early Feb and place on insulin immediately as a first step, but without a specific type diagnosis. I put in to the DVLA for a medical review licence and received it.

In the subsequent months we ruled out type 1, so while we were waiting on a test for MODY, slowly phased in metformin and reduced insulin. As of the end of April I'm no longer taking insulin, I've titrated up to my full dose of metformin last week and today we ruled out MODY and got a confirmed diagnosis of type 2, with the clinic saying I should notify the DVLA to get taken off the medical review licence as there is no risk of hypo.

Problem is, I can't find how to do that. Plenty of resources on how to let them know you've got a specific condition, but not so much if you need to inform them it no longer applies. Can't get through on the phone at the moment, so wondering if anyone has any advice on where I should be looking?

Ta!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Willeth

Thank you! In the intervening time since posting this I've had a chat with someone on the web chat and they say best thing to do is send in my licence with a cover letter explaining, so I'll confirm back when I can if that's what they advise me on the phone and what happens when and if I do.

Reactions: urbanracer

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Thank you! In the intervening time since posting this I've had a chat with someone on the web chat and they say best thing to do is send in my licence with a cover letter explaining, so I'll confirm back when I can if that's what they advise me on the phone and what happens when and if I do.

I think that’s the only way… if you want the medical dept address/phone number let me know

It’s not one of those desperate rush things.. the worst that will happen is you have to renew early but medical licenses renew free