Medical exemption card revoked

muckinfunkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello All you Type 2 friends,Since i was diagnosed back in 2008 with type 2 i`ve been on twice daily 750mg Metformin and 80mg Gliclazide and was told by my GP that i`d be taking these meds for the rest of my life and i need to manage my weight and blood sugars...So after seeing a NHS Nutritionist and NHS diabetic nurse i was told to eat in moderation and have balanced meals which we all know is nonsense to a type 2 let alone anybody normal...I did ask what is moderation but they didn't give me a clear indication so i said is it a small piece of cake or half the cake...lol..Again no answer along with a balanced meal.
Anyhows in August 2016 i found the Ketogenic diet and did all my research and started in December 2016 after my last bloods which where boardline ok but my weight was increasing,I did thrown my Type 2 meds in the bin once i started Keto and told my GP what i was doing (she thought i was crazy)...Off i went with a strict 20g carb Keto diet,By April i`d lost 70lb yes 5 stone and my first blood test had me in the normal range which had the nurse and GP amazed yet they said eating all this fat isnt good...i just laughed....So for 10yrs of being type 2 i`ve had free prescriptions along with retinopathy and podiatry and the yearly flu jab...But just recent August 2018 the GP has stopped my medial exemption card as i`m no longer taking type 2 meds to control my type 2 but i`m still having the retinopathy and podiatry and just booked in for free flu jab...I`ve done all this on my own back controlling my blood sugars with diet and not had any advice from the NHS..I`m needing the medical exemption card for my Flexitol (foot care cream) and Tramadol which controls the arthritic knee pain so i can exercise to help in controlling the weight...so my question is, Is the GP right in revoking my Exemption card even though i`m still a registered Diabetic...Thanks in advance.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
....Is the GP right in revoking my Exemption card even though i`m still a registered Diabetic...Thanks in advance.

It’s a cockeyed system, but yes, even though you’ve undoubtedly saved the NHS a shed load of money treating potential complications by getting your diabetes under control, your GP is correct, a prescription exemption card is only applicable to diabetics on diabetic meds.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello All you Type 2 friends,Since i was diagnosed back in 2008 with type 2 i`ve been on twice daily 750mg Metformin and 80mg Gliclazide and was told by my GP that i`d be taking these meds for the rest of my life and i need to manage my weight and blood sugars...So after seeing a NHS Nutritionist and NHS diabetic nurse i was told to eat in moderation and have balanced meals which we all know is nonsense to a type 2 let alone anybody normal...I did ask what is moderation but they didn't give me a clear indication so i said is it a small piece of cake or half the cake...lol..Again no answer along with a balanced meal.
Anyhows in August 2016 i found the Ketogenic diet and did all my research and started in December 2016 after my last bloods which where boardline ok but my weight was increasing,I did thrown my Type 2 meds in the bin once i started Keto and told my GP what i was doing (she thought i was crazy)...Off i went with a strict 20g carb Keto diet,By April i`d lost 70lb yes 5 stone and my first blood test had me in the normal range which had the nurse and GP amazed yet they said eating all this fat isnt good...i just laughed....So for 10yrs of being type 2 i`ve had free prescriptions along with retinopathy and podiatry and the yearly flu jab...But just recent August 2018 the GP has stopped my medial exemption card as i`m no longer taking type 2 meds to control my type 2 but i`m still having the retinopathy and podiatry and just booked in for free flu jab...I`ve done all this on my own back controlling my blood sugars with diet and not had any advice from the NHS..I`m needing the medical exemption card for my Flexitol (foot care cream) and Tramadol which controls the arthritic knee pain so i can exercise to help in controlling the weight...so my question is, Is the GP right in revoking my Exemption card even though i`m still a registered Diabetic...Thanks in advance.
Have you asked your GP why he has done this? Presumably you are still classified as a diabetic even if well controlled with diet (very well done on that btw)? I can hear lots of ads just now regarding prescription exemption suggesting that people ask their pharmacist. It seems a bit unfair given how much you are saving the NHS in terms of pills and future complications. Good luck!

D

Deleted Account

First off, Congratulations on doing an amazing job turning your diabetes around.
You have done an amazing job which should not be lost amongst the rest of the noise.

Regarding the Medical Exemption Card, as someone with type 1, I too get this card and expect to have it for life.
However, I am very careful not to use it for medication which is available over the counter. I have even asked if I can purchase some drugs that way before the GP has put pen to paper especially when I think the over the counter cost is less than a prescription cost would be if I had to pay.
I use Flexitol for my feet and it has never occurred to me to request this on prescription - it was recommended by a NHS chiropadist and I sourced it myself.

The NHS is something I do not take for granted and I do my best not to get the care I need whilst not to waste their money if I can afford to spend it myself.

I realise everyone's situation is different and I do not know the situation of the OP.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes that is correct. No meds, no exemption card! Infuriating for you.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not on meds so I don't get a card, but I buy a prescription prepayment certificate for £104 a year.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's a list here of the qualifying conditions, one of which is, "diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone"

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/medical-exemption-certificates

They've obviously had to make a clinical/political judgment call on which conditions merit it, something which could be argued about until the cows come home (assuming they've not been eaten on the way there by the carnivores/ketonians...).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Your GP has done as he is required, so it's nothing personal. I've never had an exemption card.

Reactions: lovinglife

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
May be if you had asked to continue metformin at low dose to help with controlling weight as it inhibits apatite.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Your gp is correct. Once off diabetic meds, equals no card. I do agree with this.
I might get back lash here, if I asked my gp to prescribe cream for my feet, he would laugh and say, the nhs is struggling,.I buy my foot cream myself. I also pay for my foot lady which she is brilliant. I was referred to a podiatrist, first one confirmed my neuropathy. Then saw 2 different ones, they both literally just scanned their eyes over my feet. Was in and out in seconds.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an exemption certificate but wouldn't dream of using it for something that can be purchased over the counter- I consider myself extremely lucky to even have one for my diabetes meds. foot cream and painkillers are not expensive and everyone and their father uses these items not just people with diabetes - I see no reason for anyone to get them on the NHS unless they qualify under one of the tick boxes on the back of the perscription

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you reach 60 as I did this summer you are entitled to free prescriptions so somethng to look forward to that I guess. I do feel a bit of a fraud though I still have a child at Uni and wear skinny jeans!

Reactions: lovinglife

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Move to Scotland, north of the border all prescriptions are free.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My doctor took me off metformin when my HbA1c dropped to normal levels I later persuaded him to put me back on them as they do help me with weight control, in my case this makes no difference to my prescription costs as I am well over sixty and I have another condition that would and did qualify me for free prescriptions. But if you are on the diabetic register and are on metformin you qualify for an exemption card else wise I am afraid you don't unless over sixty.

PattiT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I also buy my own Flexitol and all other OTC medicines. There are lots of conditions that need drugs to save lives but don't entitle the patient to free prescriptions.
It's not your GP's decision - it's the rules as outlined here:
https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/medical-exemption-certificates

Well done on your weight loss - it must help your knee pain as well as the diabetes. By the way, there are cheaper alternatives to Flexitol that have the active ingredient urea and are just as good