Medical records at last

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The americans call them seniors and by that they mean anyone over 65 so me included. A good definition for elderly as well.

Something much more relevant to this thread and access to GP medical records, my wife, as a member of her practice Patient Participation Group, something I would recommend to everyone, was asked to visit the two surgeries and speak to patients in the 2 waiting rooms to get some insight into why there hasn't been a better uptake of making use of the online facilities. The two surgeries are different in that one has largely retired, middle class patients while the other has more patients from overseas.

She managed to speak to over 100 patients in one surgery during a whole day, a lot of them retired, a lot of them owned computers but when asked if they would make use of the online facilities like making appointments, getting repeat prescriptions, they practically all said that they only use their computers for eMail, some said they used Skype, some even did online shopping but would not consider using the surgery's online facilities.

I even have friends, so people in their 60s, who are proud of not being able to use a computer. Unlike their children who have been brought up using PCs since their school days, some of us seniors just don't use computers or only use some of their capabilities.

Did your wife ask them why they wouldn't use on-line records? Could it be they are worried about security? Although why an elderly person should be any more or any less worried about it than youngsters, I do not know.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have decided to tell a bare faced lie and ask to be removed from the on line register because I no longer have access to the internet. This is because the access I get is so user unfreindly, lacks access to longer term results and is useless when it comes to appointments i.e no facility to book an appt directly with a DN or Practice Nurse and limited access to appts with a GP.
I must add here that in over 18 months of joining my new Practice I have not once been able to get a ringing tone on the appts line. I gave up and now if I need any kind of appt I go to the Practice at what seems to be the crack of dawn to make one. What happens when/if I cannot do this? I am fortunate in that I have family to do it. Many others don't have that option.
All told, I consider the on line service that my Practice provides is unfit for purpose.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have decided to tell a bare faced lie and ask to be removed from the on line register because I no longer have access to the internet. This is because the access I get is so user unfreindly, lacks access to longer term results and is useless when it comes to appointments i.e no facility to book an appt directly with a DN or Practice Nurse and limited access to appts with a GP.
I must add here that in over 18 months of joining my new Practice I have not once been able to get a ringing tone on the appts line. I gave up and now if I need any kind of appt I go to the Practice at what seems to be the crack of dawn to make one. What happens when/if I cannot do this? I am fortunate in that I have family to do it. Many others don't have that option.
All told, I consider the on line service that my Practice provides is unfit for purpose.

Why tell a lie? Tell them the truth and make sure all your feelings are known to the Practice Manager and the GPs, plus anyone else involved.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also do not need to be told how to use a chip and PIN device.....
"Put your card in the machine" Oh really, who knew?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Why tell a lie? Tell them the truth and make sure all your feelings are known to the Practice Manager and the GPs, plus anyone else involved.

You make a valid point there. I shall start drafting a letter. I was invited to opt in let's see if I can opt out quite as easily.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Although why an elderly person should be any more or any less worried about it than youngsters,

Some people do seem to be much more concerned about security, sometimes in an illogical way. One elderly lady I know who does use a computer will not do online shopping because she will not give her card details. She's quite happy to give them out over the phone though.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Just remembered something else relevant to viewing online records. Rather than me tell you what happens in the surgery I know about, perhaps somebody would like to ask their own practice what vetting has to be done (by the GP) of their records before they are allowed to see them electronically (do not assume zero, because you'd be wrong). Also ask about the cost of indemnity insurance in case the vetting isn't done properly. I was shocked when I learned what has to be done at my wife's surgery.

SheilaSalop

After several years of trying, I can now see my medical records online. I phoned the Practice Manager today and was told I was the first patient to go on as a guinea pig. The PM waited to see how I got on to see if it worked.
The records are a bit inconsistent, but all my latest test results are there, so I am very pleased.

Hi, I am wondering if GP practices all work differently? I asked, and have been given 'access' to my medical records but everything other than my blood results say 'na' which I assume is not available and there are only the current results ie not historical. Now I have tried and failed to see what guidelines are given to GPs - it seems to be for the practice to decide. Anyone know?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am wondering if GP practices all work differently? I asked, and have been given 'access' to my medical records but everything other than my blood results say 'na' which I assume is not available and there are only the current results ie not historical. Now I have tried and failed to see what guidelines are given to GPs - it seems to be for the practice to decide. Anyone know?

Yes, I do believe it is up to each individual practice. I can see everything, including historical, apart from "documents".

lucas12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m a bit of a number geek, so I love being able to look back over past results.
I just hope they don’t see how many times I log in when I’m waiting impatiently for new results! :nailbiting::joyful:
Hi sorry for late question. I just applied for it
So what actually can you see there?. Are all the visits and medicine taken are recorded? As well as all blood tests from previous years?
Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what actually can you see there?. Are all the visits and medicine taken are recorded? As well as all blood tests from previous years?
Thanks
I can see blood tests results from my current and previous (London based) surgery. No medications but the facility is there and repeat prescriptions. There are limited options for appointments too although my surgery seem to mainly offer Warfarin testing and doctors appointments in a months time (if only I could predict when I was going to be ill).
There is however a great deal of inconsistency and 3-4 different systems used by different CCG"s so mine is System Online (which is pretty rubbish) @Rachox has Patient Access which seems to be far more user friendly..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's an example of the "user friendly" info I get from System Online
Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 13.35.30.png

Reactions: Prem51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery use Evergreen Life and it seems good to me. I can see detailed information, blood test results etc. back to 2015, before that the records get increasingly scrappy back to the earliest entry in 1985. I imagine the quality of the early records depends on what paper records they have and if they decide to enter them. I can order repeat prescriptions and make appointments which both work well.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks

Mine are with Patient Access. I can see all my blood test results, and also other things such as results of bowel cancer screening, mammograms, and other similar screening stuff. I see all the historical ones back to 2007 in my case. I can also see all my diagnosis details and consultations for anything I have been to see the GP or nurse about and some of these date back to before 2007. In fact there are details of my broken leg in 1952, and also when I had measles and chicken pox as a young child. I can also see all my vaccinations. These start with my baby ones in 1948! (there is a gap of several years) but all my vacs show from 1986. There is also a list of problems (significant, present, past, minor). Any repeat prescriptions would be there but I haven't got any. Also allergies (none in my case) and a few GP appointments bookable on line. I also see graphs of all the blood test test results

What I can't see are scanned documents received from the hospital, which is annoying. I am considering asking to be able to see these.

lucas12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much @ Bluetot1802
That's fantastic a lot of valuable information there I didn't expect you can see such stuff. Verry very helpful thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for a laugh I put in a date before my birth and found that a lot of my childhood vaccinations are there as well as breaking my thumb when 18 (motorbike accident) breaking my arm falling down the stairs when 12 wasn't though..

D

Deleted member 83869

Recently discovered that I could view mine online too (I'm a geek aswell haha) even found out that I was a frequent bed wetter when I was 5/6 haha. I love it

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is an example of how mine are laid out - each individual test is listed in date order. Just one random example.

upload_2019-5-7_14-1-21.png

and this is the graph

upload_2019-5-7_14-3-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-7_14-0-25.png
    upload_2019-5-7_14-0-25.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 239