Medical records at last

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
After several years of trying, I can now see my medical records online. I phoned the Practice Manager today and was told I was the first patient to go on as a guinea pig. The PM waited to see how I got on to see if it worked.
The records are a bit inconsistent, but all my latest test results are there, so I am very pleased.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After several years of trying, I can now see my medical records online. I phoned the Practice Manager today and was told I was the first patient to go on as a guinea pig. The PM waited to see how I got on to see if it worked.
The records are a bit inconsistent, but all my latest test results are there, so I am very pleased.

It took me a little while to work out how to see what I wanted, most efficiently, so spending a bit of time on it could be useful.

Certainly being able to self-service on test results saves all the phone calling and grovelling nonsense.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a bit of a number geek, so I love being able to look back over past results.
I just hope they don’t see how many times I log in when I’m waiting impatiently for new results! :nailbiting::joyful:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m a bit of a number geek, so I love being able to look back over past results.
I just hope they don’t see how many times I log in when I’m waiting impatiently for new results! :nailbiting::joyful:

I wonder if they know how many times we log in. I am waiting for the hospital to write to my GP with a report on some tests I had done 4 weeks ago. I know the GP will have to access my records in order to make notes or scan the report in, so I keep logging in to see if this has happened. Every day! Twice! It hasn't happened yet.

Reactions: Rachox

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if they know how many times we log in. I am waiting for the hospital to write to my GP with a report on some tests I had done 4 weeks ago. I know the GP will have to access my records in order to make notes or scan the report in, so I keep logging in to see if this has happened. Every day! Twice! It hasn't happened yet.

Only twice, @Bluetit1802 ? That's just not normal. ;)

I'm having quite a lot of regular bloods done at the moment, and I'm sad enough to have worked out when my GP looks at results. I hope she doesn't think I'm stalking her. :borg:

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I love being able to look back over past results.

Speaking to my GP about my records she said that only those records made electronically will be available online. Purely because of the cost of digitising everyone's paper stored records. I have heard that some GP practices are storing all their patient records at an offsite storage facility and when a request for online records is made, the company will digitise all the records for that particular patient only. Makes sense as I imagine the vast majority of patients will have no intention of looking at their records, the ones most likely to are younger and possibly most of their records are online anyway.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Makes sense as I imagine the vast majority of patients will have no intention of looking at their records, the ones most likely to are younger and possibly most of their records are online anyway.

Ageist. ;)

Why is it that some folk believe older people don't/can't use computers? :arghh:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Speaking to my GP about my records she said that only those records made electronically will be available online. Purely because of the cost of digitising everyone's paper stored records. I have heard that some GP practices are storing all their patient records at an offsite storage facility and when a request for online records is made, the company will digitise all the records for that particular patient only. Makes sense as I imagine the vast majority of patients will have no intention of looking at their records, the ones most likely to are younger and possibly most of their records are online anyway.

I can see tests results back to when I first registered with my current practice in 1983 and immunisations back through my whole life. In my case that information wasn’t specially digitised because I had requested it, unless they were flipping quick doing it. I went into the surgery unannounced one day to request access and by the time I’d driven home it was all there!

Reactions: Prem51

lindisfel

Expert
Ageist. ;)

Why is it that some folk believe older people don't/can't use computers? :arghh:
My surgery has only a restricted version on line and I always have to request a print out. I want to see a lot more stuff on line so I must be an oddity for 79.
We are not all in our dotage are we Blue tit? :) ;)
Mind you, I have been struggling to fix my phone which will not download apps from Google play store without ditching the updates from playstore settings first!

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery has only a restricted version on line and I always have to request a print out. I want to see a lot more stuff on line so I must be an oddity for 79.
We are not all in our dotage are we Blue tit? :) ;)
Mind you, I have been struggling to fix my phone which will not download apps from Google play store without ditching the updates from playstore settings first!

Youngsters seem to forget how long computers have been around, and the www.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

I'm not discriminating against persons of a certain age and I don't regard older persons as debilitated, unworthy of attention, or unsuitable for employment. At 66 I'm not exactly young myself. LOL

Why is it that some folk believe older people don't/can't use computers?
I agree, my parents are 88 and 86 and are dab hands at computers!

Because most of them don't. I only have to look at the small group of elderly ladies that I take shopping to realise that a lot don't. Also, I didn't say all of them, my 91 year old father uses his PC and tablet, although not his mobile phone. There have been several pieces of research done looking at PC and smartphone usage among the elderly so I'm not just making it up.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been several pieces of research done looking at PC and smartphone usage among the elderly so I'm not just making it up.

I think one has to define elderly in that case. My mum was elderly when she passed on, but long before that I told her I had sent an email on her behalf to a relative. She gave me a stamp to put on it. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If you were brought up understanding DOS, then that grounding was formidable

Reactions: Bluetit1802

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My granddaughter thinks that my husband and I are very up to date with technology ---- for our age
Carol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Only twice, @Bluetit1802 ? That's just not normal. ;)

I'm having quite a lot of regular bloods done at the moment, and I'm sad enough to have worked out when my GP looks at results. I hope she doesn't think I'm stalking her. :borg:

I think I have broken Patient Access. I have been logging on so often waiting for the report that today I have been unable to access it. I think the site is down.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I think one has to define elderly in that case.

The americans call them seniors and by that they mean anyone over 65 so me included. A good definition for elderly as well.

Something much more relevant to this thread and access to GP medical records, my wife, as a member of her practice Patient Participation Group, something I would recommend to everyone, was asked to visit the two surgeries and speak to patients in the 2 waiting rooms to get some insight into why there hasn't been a better uptake of making use of the online facilities. The two surgeries are different in that one has largely retired, middle class patients while the other has more patients from overseas.

She managed to speak to over 100 patients in one surgery during a whole day, a lot of them retired, a lot of them owned computers but when asked if they would make use of the online facilities like making appointments, getting repeat prescriptions, they practically all said that they only use their computers for eMail, some said they used Skype, some even did online shopping but would not consider using the surgery's online facilities.

I even have friends, so people in their 60s, who are proud of not being able to use a computer. Unlike their children who have been brought up using PCs since their school days, some of us seniors just don't use computers or only use some of their capabilities.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think one has to define elderly in that case.
I'm 67 and don't think of myself as elderly, but when I switched energy suppliers, two years ago, I ticked the box saying I had no disabilities. When I spoke to one of their telephone advisers he asked if I would mind if he noted that I was 'elderly' as a disability.
I find that when speaking to call centre people these days they usually speak more slowly - I'm an older person but can understand what they are saying perfectly well! Still it can be an advantage sometimes.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About 10 years ago (I was 41) I rang Orange to discuss getting a new phone. I didn't care what it looked like, but I wanted it to not be black (because I can't see them in the bottom of handbags) and I wanted decent sized buttons (because those silly buttons the size of of split peas were irritating).

Hysterically, the pre-pubescant call centre operative decided that this made me ancient, a technophobe, virtually senile, and proceded to speak me like an idiot. His loss, since I went elsewhere to get my first, much loved smart phone. White case, nice big 'buttons'. Hahahaha!

The assumptions that the young make about grownups are... nothing I ever did! Cough!

Reactions: 1spuds

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I have broken Patient Access. I have been logging on so often waiting for the report that today I have been unable to access it. I think the site is down.

It's probably backdoor therapy, Blue. :)