Medical review license

AnnaV

Hi everyone,
After I informed the DVLA about my type 1, they've sent me a letter saying they need to replace my license with a 'medical review licence which will be valid for 3 years'.

My question is, do all type 1s need to do that, or was it some of my answers that resulted in this restrictive licence?

Also, my licence is not actually issued in the UK, so do I really need to return it to the DVLA (who did not issue it)?

Thank you in advance

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, anyone* who is insulin dependent has a 3 year license in the UK (or less dependent on answers or license type - for bigger vehicles its 1 yearly I think).
I don't know about returning license I've never had to (you don't have to return the old ones for 3 yearly renewals, as they normally run out fairly soon after you've renewed anyways)

*except for when its gestational diabetes as that is normally short-lived

Last edited:
Reactions: Rose22 and AnnaV

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
After I informed the DVLA about my type 1, they've sent me a letter saying they need to replace my license with a 'medical review licence which will be valid for 3 years'.

My question is, do all type 1s need to do that, or was it some of my answers that resulted in this restrictive licence?

Also, my licence is not actually issued in the UK, so do I really need to return it to the DVLA (who did not issue it)?

Thank you in advance

Hi there, yes, in the UK anyone with type 1 gets a restriction on their standard licence to 3 years. I am assuming the licence you do have is valid in the UK so like anybody else, you would need to get it changed to reflect the legislation.

AnnaV

Thank you Rokaab. To confirm, as long as you're type 1 (even if no complications or have never had severe hypos), you need this medical licence?

As for the return of my current (non-medical) licence, I ask because I need to choose an option from:
1. I enclose my current license
2. I have already returned my licence to the DVLA
3. I am unable to return my driving licence because...

My answer will be 3, but what reason do I give them ( I have a valid European licence)? Handing out my licence means I wouldn't be able to drive abroad.

Thank you

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you Rokaab. To confirm, as long as you're type 1 (even if no complications or have never had severe hypos), you need this medical licence?
As long as you are on insulin yes (which as a type 1 is very necessary) - its the insulin usage that is the real qualifier here as to why you need a 3 year license,

I guess it would be number 3 as well as to why you cant return it, but I just don't know I'm afraid - hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Reactions: AnnaV

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My answer will be 3, but what reason do I give them ( I have a valid European licence)? Handing out my licence means I wouldn't be able to drive abroad.
I guess answering 3. I am unable to return my driving licence because... I need it for driving when abroad would be fine.
In the Netherlands for instance, it would be perfectly fine to drive forever with your current license.

(We have a weird hole in the law where you are obliged to declare your diabetes whe first getting your drivers licence, resulting in needing renewal every few years, but we're not obliged to say a thing when we get T1 after already having our licence.
Ridiculous of course but I'm very happy I didn't have to tell.)

Reactions: Ceebee2 and AnnaV

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AnnaV , indeed we do.. https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving

I guess answering 3. I am unable to return my driving licence because... I need it for driving when abroad would be fine.
In the Netherlands for instance, it would be perfectly fine to drive forever with your current license.

(We have a weird hole in the law where you are obliged to declare your diabetes whe first getting your drivers licence, resulting in needing renewal every few years, but we're not obliged to say a thing when we get T1 after already having our licence.
Ridiculous of course but I'm very happy I didn't have to tell.)

Interestingly, I once got stopped by two Dutch cycle cops & my licence was out of date. New one had been issued forgot to swap the document to the new one before traveling?
Lol, I explained the situation.. (My in date licence was sitting on the side at home.) "Ah, OK. Enjoy your holiday.." :cool::cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77 and AnnaV

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

As for the return of my current (non-medical) licence, I ask because I need to choose an option from:
1. I enclose my current license
2. I have already returned my licence to the DVLA
3. I am unable to return my driving licence because...

Thank you

Hi Anna, give them a ring?, they are usually very accommodating and helpful.

Ceebee2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If your license is not issued by DVLA in UK why would you have to advise them? As far as they are concerned you don’t have a license. When you say you have a European license do you mean one issued by a European country? If so depending on that country’s rules you may need to advise the licensing authority of that country.
What will you do after Brexit? Will foreign licences be valid without an international driving permit

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very good point, @Ceebee2.
As far as I know (being a Dutch T1 with a Dutch license) I can drive legally in the UK without having had to renew my license since I got it 25 years ago.

So do your rules apply to all UK citizens or only to the ones with a UK license?

Ceebee2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not an expert but I read government website to say you can drive in UK with a license issued in an EU country until you are 70 years old. Therefore UK DVLA has no involvement with licensing requirements but if issuing country requires being advised if on insulin presumably they should be advised.
For myself it is all a bit arbitrary as I now live in Thailand and because I don’t have a UK doctor I was unable to renew my 3 year restricted uk license.
I have a Thai Driving licence and believe if I return to UK I can drive on that for up to 12 months although would probably need international driving permit as well.

AnnaV

Thanks everyone, I did call the DVLA and said I have an EU driving license and they did say that I still should give it to them... I did ask what if I need to drive abroad, and they said I might be able to use the newmedical British one... I'm checking today with the issuing authorities abroad, especially in light of Brexit.

I do understand that they need to take my license so I don't just keep on using it here, but seeing asy country only has this type of license (and not a medical one), I don't see why I should just give it away to be destroyed:?

PS: yes I would have been allowed to drive on my EU license until I'm 70 I think, had it not been for my diabetes.

Ceebee2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I can’t believe they are right. You have a foreign license which entitles you to drive in the UK. DVLA should have no involvement with it. Only if post Brexit the UK decides to drive in UK you must have a UK licence, then they could insist that after being in UK for 12 months you must exchange for a UK licence. Which I would have to do with my Thai license.

AnnaV

I checked with authorities abroad and they did confirm that there is no issue for me to surrender my license to DVLA and to use my new British one to drive abroad, even after Brexit. It just creates the inconvenience of having to renew it every 3 years I guess. Still find this a bit strange but there we go.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The 3 year renewal fir a car only involves completing a form and returning it... the renewal is free.. normal licenses need renewing every 10 years and there is a fee for that.. so you'll save a little money

I have a HGV license which is renewed every 12 months and I have to see a consultant to get it renewed

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can’t believe they are right. You have a foreign license which entitles you to drive in the UK. DVLA should have no involvement with it. Only if post Brexit the UK decides to drive in UK you must have a UK licence, then they could insist that after being in UK for 12 months you must exchange for a UK licence. Which I would have to do with my Thai license.

But this post is to do with changing that licence to a 3 year one because the poster is type 1. The DVLA certainly will be involved in that aspect because ANYONE driving over here would need to follow the UK requirements to drive. If that wasn't the case then yes, the Licence would not have been requested.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
ANYONE driving over here would need to follow the UK requirements to drive.
Are you sure? I think I'll be fine to drive with my Dutch license when I visit the UK, even though my country doesn't ask for a renewal every 3 years.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you sure? I think I'll be fine to drive with my Dutch license when I visit the UK, even though my country doesn't ask for a renewal every 3 years.

Hi there, each Country is different of course but I only know that it refers to those living in this Country rather than visiting. Just to add, I probably didn't make it clear enough, I meant that anyone driving over here (and living over here) would have to follow the UK requirements relative to their type 1 specifically). x

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, each Country is different of course but I only know that it refers to those living in this Country rather than visiting. Just to add, I probably didn't make it clear enough, I meant that anyone driving over here (and living over here) would have to follow the UK requirements relative to their type 1 specifically). x
I'll see if I can find out what the rules are for visitors, as driving in the UK is exactly what I plan to do once we can move around freely again :)

Last edited:
Reactions: KK123