Type 1 Medication in Japan

Pablodius

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey, I've been in Japan for 2 months and will be living here for a year. Although they have all of my medication here (novorapid, levemir, and blood testing strips), it costs a fortune and I've been told I can't receive any discounts like the locals can for health care / medication.

I've calculated that over the course of 12 months I'm likely to spend around £1,400 on medication which would be free back home... It would almost be worth me flying back to get it! The odd thing is I am working while I'm here, as I'm on a working holiday visa. Seems odd that I'm paying tax and can't get any of the benefits. I could get a friend back home to send me needles and testing strips, but I'm not sure how well insulin would survive the journey in cargo.

Has anyone else had experience of long-term living in Japan with diabetes? How have you handled it?

Reactions: Freema

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you spoken to anyone at the British Embassy, there are bound to be some IDD's working there who could tell you how they deal with it.

Reactions: Freema

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you do a google search for 'UK prescriptions Japan' you will find a whole host of links giving info on how to deal with the Japanese drug, prescriptions etc. including forums for fellow Brits abroad.

A couple of important points is that foreigners are only permitted to bring in 2 months of drug supplies (so flying home and stocking up would not be acceptable), and that there is zero tolerance for rule breakers.