Medication or not??

Beetlebum

newly diagnosed type 2 GP called me at home last night. I have been told byhim i have to start Metformin on monday he called me last night afte surgery hours so cant get meds till monday. Is this normal? I though you were given the option to try and get it under control with diet and excercise first. I have no idea what my readings were as i forgot to ask but am assuming they must be high to go straight onto medication. Is this the right thing to do?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally personal. Some prefer to do it without meds. Some see metformin as a useful tool. But you still need to change your diet whichever choice you make. Some drs hand it out immediately some only if numbers are higher.

Can I suggest you take a good look at LCHF ie low carb higher fat (than typically recommended) methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It’s how an awful lot of us get our blood sugar levels under control and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and also reduce or improve complications. It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss for a type 2 if you need that. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, PCOS, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol. Some jump right on it, others edge their toes in a bit at a time. Be aware the the USA count carbs differently so be aware if you look at their counting, recipes or products. They include fibre in their count we don’t. So if it’s USA stuff deduct the fibre to get our figures. (Fibre isn’t generally digested thus doesn’t get counted)

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Test before a meal and 2hrs later hoping for a rise of 2mmol or less. More and the carbs eaten were too many! Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS (other than metformin): if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. (This is not a concern for metformin on its own). Keep a very close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge so they can reduce medication accordingly. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around. Low carb is endorsed by the NHS and the ADA as an effective method of control, even if the practice staff don’t realise that yet.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

mouseee

I chose to go with metformin and insure its helped me, partly do to suppressing appetite. BS more than halved in first 3 months.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this the right thing to do?

Well the first thing to do would be to find out what your diagnosis HbA1c was.

Once you can see where on the T2 spectrum you lie it will be far easier for you to decide whether to start medication or try diet first. Personally I tried metformin for a few weeks had a very bad reaction to it so simply carried on with time restricted eating and ultra low carb. Results as below in my signature. But it should always be your decision whether to take meds or not.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to take the tablets which were prescribed as I was described as a very bad diabetic but I was so ill and couldn't do anything that I threw them away.
By the time I saw a HCP again it was pretty obvious that I did not need them.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You've already been given a lot of links so I'll just add that I agree with the advice that after receiving advice from the appropriate person it is then your decision whether or not to take any medication. You can follow the advice or not after you have considered the advice and done enough research to be confident of your decision. I do take metformin- I have the slow release version and have no side effects. I take it because I have lot of weight still to lose and in just over 6 months have lost over 20 kilos. Once I have lost all the weight I want I will consider not taking the metformin but may continue to take it.

I also follow the LCHF way of eating. It is not my personal preference but it is what suits my body. I know this because I test regularly and even my very sceptical doctor concedes that she considers by blood sugar levels to be well controlled- this 6 months after diagnosis and from a doctor whose view is that it is a progressive illness and didn't entertain any possibility that it wasn't.

Good luck and welcome.