mel_bernard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

First of all, please forgive me if my English is not good.

I found out I have type 2 diabetes over 3 years ago but I didn't take it seriously and didn't take any medications at all. But that changed after I had my health check 2 months ago and the doctor explained to me that my fasting blood sugar had skyrocketed (to like 13+ mmol/L high). Anyways, I started taking metformin (850 mg) and gliclacide (30 mg) for 1 month and my fasting blood sugar dropped to 5.6 mmol/L (without exercise and diet). My Vietnamese doctor was extremely impressed with the result but he continued to give me the same medication and it seems like he's not planning to cut down the dosage anytime soon. Is that normal or should I go see another doctor?

Some info about me: diabetes runs in my family; I have a normal bmi (but I need to work on my belly), 29 years old.

Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your Vietnamese doctor is under the impression that your improvement is due to the pills you are taking then there is no reason for him to cut the dosage down. He assumes that cutting down on the medication will put you back where you started.