Type 1 MediTag Bracelet clasp

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi, has anyone else had problems with the clasp on a MediTag bracelet? Mine kept coming undone. The whole family tried doing it up for me in the hope that it'd stay done up. It didn't, and now it's lost. I contacted MediTag and they weren't helpful!
I've now bought an SOS one but it wasn't cheap.
I know that being safe(r) is worth more than I paid for either alert bracelet but I can't help feeling miffed by MediTag.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Fairygodmother. I would re contact Meditag with your concerns about the quality of there product. Be extremely civil and polite ( it puts them on edge ), explain you have now purchased a replacement product from another supplier.
Remind them at this point of the power of advertising. Inform them of your membership of Diabetes.co.uk. Wish them a good day and apologise for having to give them such a poor review of there product and leave it there.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Fairygodmother ,

Just been looking at the Medi Tag site? (Though I don't posess any of thier products.)
The seems to be various clasp assemblies on thier bracelet range..
They do claim a year's warranty on materials & workmanship.

I feel if you had to struggle to keep the clasp in place on the initial fitting? This would be reason enough to voice dissatisfaction with the product..
You may get sent a replacment as a good will gesture?

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I emailed them to tell them what happened, mentioned the warranty, told them the delivery code et al and the reply was that I'd have to buy a new one! I'll get back to them.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's just poor service. Tell them you'll be perfectly happy to buy a similar product from a different company - their response just isn't good enough.

I'm so sick of companies like this profiteering from people with extra needs. Fine, charge fairly for your service or product and make a profit, of course, but don't repeatedly keep stinging people for cash just because their needs are so specific they don't have many other options. I've put up with it for years with Euan - annual "membership processing fees" for cinema carers' cards, items that are half the price when marketed to yoga fans and pregnant women compared to when the word "sensory" is stamped on the side, the same "bubble tubes" for both decorative and sensory purposes, except the second is literally 4 times more expensive - the list goes on and on. I've even seen "sugar-free jelly" with exactly the same ingredients as "diabetic-safe jelly", but a quarter of the price.

Unbelievable. And immoral.

</rant>

I considered Medi Tag (and others like it) but decided it was just too expensive for what it did. In the end I decided to wear a rubber bracelet from this site on a day to day basis (though it does get really annoying - it's far too big for my wrist now!). For going out, I bought a really lovely bracelet that has a waterproof compartment that opens up, into which you can put a fairly sizeable piece of paper with all your emergency info in it.

I also got an ICE app for my phone, so anyone looking through my bag in an emergency can see my info (including who to call) without having to unlock it. I figured these two things - bracelet and ICE app - did more or less exactly what the far more expensive companies did (without the terrible customer service!).

Good luck - I hope you get a positive resolution soon. <3

If you (or anyone else) wants links to the particular things I mentioned, let me know and I'll dig them out.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you all for your advice and empathy! The bracelet you bought Sockfiddler sounds very like the SOS one I now use, and so far it's been brilliant. It's water resistant too. I've swim with it on, just in case Of shark attack (most sharks are shy) and the paper info strip's stayed dry. I do take it off to shower - it's easy to put on again.
I'll try to contact MediTag by phone on Monday - it's easier to talk to someone than to address a faceless Customer Service team.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Fairygodmother ,

Just been looking at the Medi Tag site? (Though I don't posess any of thier products.)
The seems to be various clasp assemblies on thier bracelet range..
They do claim a year's warranty on materials & workmanship.

I feel if you had to struggle to keep the clasp in place on the initial fitting? This would be reason enough to voice dissatisfaction with the product..
You may get sent a replacment as a good will gesture?

That's sensible. Also thinking of using the 'fit for purpose' rule.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good luck with Euan, Sockfiddler!