Meditation

Fearless36

We all know meditation is good for us generally for wellbeing, but I came across an mp3 recently that I really love that is both a guided meditation and affirmations specifically for diabetes. Its been created by Belleruth Naparstek and has some beautiful imagery.

(Edited by a moderator to remove a link to a 'pay for' item.)

Meditation isn't everyone's choice but I figured it worth sharing. I really find it calming and beneficial.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I tried the free Headspace thing. I gave up at session six. They are three minutes long and repetitive to the nth degree. The price of the follow on sessions are a bit steep, too. Having said that, I learned some yoga relaxation excercises many years ago and use those to stop palpitations getting out of control and to aid sleep and they are good but would be better if I could listen to a sonorous voice guiding me.

Reactions: beth cordoba

Fearless36

I haven't tried the Headspace, but really like the HealthJourney's. Plus the affirmations are also something I play in the background whilst I work and I like them too. As they are specifically about diabetes - I wanted to share as I know they are helping me.

Last edited by a moderator:

scorpius14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i find various ASMR techniques to be therapeutic, there are so many on youtube lasting from 3 mins to 4 hours. although meditation is intended to be carried out in complete silence, i don't have the luxury of being in a quiet place so a 'mind massage' is the closest i can get

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I am a great believer in the benefits and power of meditation.

I first began practicing meditation over 50 yrs ago.

My introduction was the first day I started a Korean martial called ‘Hap-Ki-Do’

Each class began with a short session of meditation to focus the mind on the class ahead.

The first stage of meditation is concentration. What we chose to concentrate on can be anything from you breath counting each breath in and out

A good example would be to breath in and count to 4 in your head then breath out again for a count of 4 then repeat. In for 4… out for 4.

The reason for counting in your head is to prevent the mind from wandering off on extraneous thoughts which can be absolutely anything from I feel like a ****, this is rubbish, whats for tea?

Shes a cracker, I’m hot, I’m cold, I am hungry, I need a wee,

So all of this is going on in your head… Keep counting and when you realise you have stopped counting just focus and start again… and again… and again.

Meditation is NOT sitting with an empty head devoid of thought.

So if you have never tried meditation this is a great place to start.

You will find your counting will become slower your breathing will slow down your heart rate will slow down the voice in your head will slowly begin to become less and less.

Your brave wave pattern will change and slow form say 14- 15 Hz to 10 Hz (what does this really mean?) it means you become more relaxed, more calm, more focused.

For the average person it may take around 20mins to reach the lower levels that give us so much benefit.

The point of meditation is NOT what happens during the 10- 20 mins of mediation… it is what happens the next 23hrs 40mins.

Mediation has a definite accumulative effect… The more you practice the more gain.

Stress is one of the biggest killers on the planet. Meditation is your ultimate de-stress tool .

Looking at Diabetes will meditation help? YES!

If you need to take insulin, metformin, any medication if you take it as it says the packet... as a rule of thumb it works… you know it works your metre tells you it is working. If you don’t take it, it can’t work!

You get a headache, you know what works for you, yet you don’t take it WHY?

So mediation works if and only if you do it.

It does work regardless of what you think or what anybody else thinks.

Reactions: Speedbird and Shas3