Meds causing hypos

tom2pin

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
OK so I've suffered with insomnia for years and I now have hypo reactions to certain meds ie. Diazepam/Phenegan. I'll take them, get off too sleep and then be woken with a shunt of (what I assume is) adrenaline, heart pounding and all the other horrible sensations related to a hypo. Does anyone else have these reactions to certain meds? I'd been ok with them previously but now the reaction is awful and I feel unstable for days after. Could it be related to cortisol going too low maybe?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked it is hypo with a meter, as opposed to anything else? Phenergan is known to make some kids hyperactive as opposed to sleepy for instance.

tom2pin

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
No I've still not got a meter in nearly a year....My endo seemed to think it wasn't worth it. To be honest they dont seem to take RH that seriously although the symptoms are horrible.

I think its time to get one

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OK so I've suffered with insomnia for years and I now have hypo reactions to certain meds ie. Diazepam/Phenegan. I'll take them, get off too sleep and then be woken with a shunt of (what I assume is) adrenaline, heart pounding and all the other horrible sensations related to a hypo. Does anyone else have these reactions to certain meds? I'd been ok with them previously but now the reaction is awful and I feel unstable for days after. Could it be related to cortisol going too low maybe?

In my experience, because of my sleep deprivation issues, I've tried certain meds and they do have an effect on your body, I've tried diazepam and it does cause me side effects.
If you have side effects like you are getting, then you should not be having them.

The side effects that I had was an amplification of the same issues I was having without them!

I don't know about the cortisol.

Best wishes

Reactions: tom2pin

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No I've still not got a meter in nearly a year....My endo seemed to think it wasn't worth it. To be honest they dont seem to take RH that seriously although the symptoms are horrible.

I think its time to get one

I got a brand new one at my last check up, I couldn't live without one now.
How on earth, can you know what is happening, without a way of recording and testing?
A food diary is an invaluable investment and resource to help with the treatment of a condition that causes blood glucose issues.
My endocrinologist made sure I had enough testing strips from my surgery.

Best wishes

Reactions: tom2pin