Meds that also help with weight loss

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

I am overweight, type 2. I have recently started wearing dexcom g7 CGM. My average glucose is around 150 mg/dL. A1C is 5.6%, but I donate blood regularly so that may be off (low).

My endocrinologist encourages me to lose weight. I eat low carb, but I have trouble losing. She increased my metformin extended release from 1500 to 2000 mg daily. I have a repeat glucose and A1C in December, no blood donation. My endocrinologist said if my glucose is still high she will add a med that will also help with weight loss. She did not mention the name.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snap! I’m overweight too. I’m on Metformin slow release 2000g. If I keep my carb intake to 20g or less a day then I do lose weight. I‘ve recently been given Forxiga and that’s helped a lot with weight loss but I still have to stick to the low carb lifestyle or I get UTIs because the Forxiga gets rid of the excess glucose in the wee so have to keep it low. It’s good though as it stops me wanting to buy high carb treats!

Reactions: lorib64

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your doctor may have been referring to a drug in the GLP1 RA group, examples are Ozempic and Victoza. At the moment there is a global shortage because Drs have been prescribing them off label to non diabetic patients wanting to lose weight, leaving diabetic patients without. I don’t know where you live but in the UK it is virtually impossible to get any.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My endocrinologist encourages me to lose weight. I eat low carb, but I have trouble losing.
I know this goes against much of the low carb advice you find out there on the web, especially in keto circles, but do you also monitor total calorie consumption?

For weight loss, you still need a calorie deficit between what your body burns in a day and what you're consuming. Generally speaking, regardless of the type of diet you use, it takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1lb per week, so if you want to lose 2lb per week you'll need to make sure your daily calorie intake per week adds up to 7000 calories less than your total calories burnt per week.

This is far from an exact science, it's just a rough guide and several other factors can influence weight loss (e.g. hormones, hydration etc), but there are apps and calculators that can help. Also be aware that aiming for a deficit that calculates to delivering 3lb or more in weight loss per week can be dangerous for some people, plus lead to your body slowing it's metabolic rate and you'll end up not losing weight.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I am overweight, type 2. I have recently started wearing dexcom g7 CGM. My average glucose is around 150 mg/dL. A1C is 5.6%, but I donate blood regularly so that may be off (low).

My endocrinologist encourages me to lose weight. I eat low carb, but I have trouble losing. She increased my metformin extended release from 1500 to 2000 mg daily. I have a repeat glucose and A1C in December, no blood donation. My endocrinologist said if my glucose is still high she will add a med that will also help with weight loss. She did not mention the name.
Eating a low carb diet should prove to be very effective in reducing your blood glucose levels.
Many people find that one they get their levels down to around normal it becomes easier to lose weight. I have lost loads and am not even trying. I don't restrict calories because that never worked, and after half a century of being told it was me that was wrong, not the advice I use the smile, nod and ignore method of coping.
Your glucose levels might still be a bit high - 150mg/dl is 8.33mmol/l and I saw improvement after seeing under 8 at the 2 hour after meal point.

Reactions: Outlier and lorib64