1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Medtronic 640g Problems with Cracking?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Rubyloo, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Spicey245

Spicey245 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well my new pump arrived today so I'm back pumping again (thank GOD as my blood sugar control was shocking back on MDI!) So happy to be pumping again, big relief. I just hope this one lasts a bit longer than 6 months!

2. Janine2301

Janine2301 Type 1 · Newbie

Good day I'm really unhappy love the technology of the 640g but it's my 4th pump in less than 4 months because of the the cracking of casing I have not let it fall or misused it in anyway but this keeps happening all the time this is a huge let down as I have so much better control but the casing cracking all over the show is heartbreaking

3. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Perhaps there is a lack of consistency in the manufacture of the plastic which may show up with the problems mentioned in more than one pump brand. Good old quality control out the window, or cost cutting leading to use of inferior materials and manufacturers.
    If they can build rockets and habitats to send people to the Moon and (hopefully) Mars why can they not do better with earthly devices ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This is interesting. I've had a 640G since July last year, and I've had no issues at all with it. But I'll keep an eye on it from now on, so thanks for raising the issue.

5. duranie

duranie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know I’m late to the party, I’ve been pumping fr 7 years, my first Medtronic pump, the minimed was fine, no issues at all. The 640g though, first one broke after about a year, second one lasted a year, third one about 6 months and I now have one which was a replacement issued in JUNE this year with a massive crack in it.
    When I phoned last time they accused me of dropping it, now I’m not perfect and have bumped into things, and once dropped one onto my bedside rug, from the great heigh of about 18 inches when the cannula decided to come away from my stomach.
    Something like a pump, especially one with really weak belt clips, should be able to withstand the odd bump or being dropped on carpet/cat very occasionally,
    If they accuse me again, I shall refer them to this.

6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @duranie

I've had 2 cracked pumps in the last 3 years, also had a conversation with them where they asked if I had dropped it, however its always attached to me in a pump belt or taken off and placed on a shelf if washing, replacement has always been within a day though, it needs changing as soon as you notice the crack as it can cause faults with the pump, I only noticed the crack the last time as kept getting issues with the pump dispensing bolus shots and called them only noticed when I was on the phone. Just ensure you always have a back up of pens just n case though.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook