Medtronic 7 day infusion set

Tr4cyh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good morning.
Having had my having had my eleventy billionth argument with my 15 year old daughter about changing her canular as it’s over three days and clearly not working, I was wondering if anyone knows if the Medtronic 7 day infusion is available in the uk and if we can buy it anywhere whilst waiting for it to become available on NHS? It would make a huge difference to my dd and therefore my sanity?
Tia

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Someone posted on here some time ago about using the 7 day ones, if you do a search I'm sure you will find the poster. Pretty sure he was saying it worked ok for him.

Tr4cyh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Someone posted on here some time ago about using the 7 day ones, if you do a search I'm sure you will find the poster. Pretty sure he was saying it worked ok for him.
Thanks. I saw one from January saying someone had used it but can’t find it to ask where he got them from and if they can be bought.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not an infusion site expert but know enough over the 51 yrs of diabetes I've been injecting that too much insulin into one specific site causes issues under the skin with insulin pooling etc, skin damage etc. I'd want to see some evidence that 7 days based upon insulin use is safe. I struggle today with 3 days and sometimes change at two. Sorry its not a helpful comment but please make sure if you change you know if there is any future impact, its not just the life of the cannula that you need to think about.

glenmoray

Good morning.
Having had my having had my eleventy billionth argument with my 15 year old daughter about changing her canular as it’s over three days and clearly not working, I was wondering if anyone knows if the Medtronic 7 day infusion is available in the uk and if we can buy it anywhere whilst waiting for it to become available on NHS? It would make a huge difference to my dd and therefore my sanity?
Tia
Hi, I use the Gaurdian 4 glucose sensor with the Medtronic MiniMed infusion sets. The Glucose sensor needs to be changed every Severn days but unfortunately the MiniMed infusion sets have to be changed every 3 days. If you look at your front screen of your MiniMed780G when it’s in SmartGuard mode click on the silver button and you will get the insulin screen. Bottom left button with the tick it actually tells you how long until the Guardian 4 sensor has got left until it needs changing and how much more charge is left in your sensor. The same for the Giving sets. It tells you what time and date it was started . Both of these you can set alarms to go off when the sensor and giving set needs changing. On the main screen your sensor and the giving set change colour from. Yellow then Red telling you both are items need to be changed soon. Hope this helps you.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@glenmoray Medtronic have brought out 7 day infusion sets, which are available in other countries, and these are what @Tr4cyh was asking about, if they are available in the uk yet.

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
I've heard from a Medtronic rep that every diabetic in Denmark is now on a 7 day cannula and are now trying to get back on top of stocks to support the rest of Europe. I'm not sure if they have been approved by the big wigs in the UK, or even if that makes a difference if buying them privately.

Not quite sure how they would work, my reservoir wouldn't hold enough insulin for 7 days so do you still need to refill that?

Would love to know if you have any success in finding them!

Thanks
Michelle

Bill Wireman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the minimed for 7 days without any issue, but I only eat 2 meals a day so don't require a lot of insulin. Talking with a Medtronic's rep who said that you might have a problem with the insulin solidifying on the plastic tubing, but that has not been a problem for me.

Deejaypdex

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I don’t think the 7 day infusion sets are available yet in the UK, still waiting on them myself

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry I have not been able to log in for a few months,
I have been using the 7 day infusion sets for nearly 1 year now and I normally get 7days but yes I do live in France, I hope you can get them in the UK soon

Reactions: Hopeful34

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry I have not been able to log in for a few months,
I have been using the 7 day infusion sets for nearly 1 year now and I normally get 7days but yes I do live in France, I hope you can get them in the UK soon
Hi @Peter03 - can I ask how much insulin do you use over the 7 days ?.

mIcHeLLe67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good morning.
Tia
I was dreadful at changing my cannula when on tubed pump. All I can advise is to put in less insulin but that still relies on changing the set when you change the cartridge. I'm now on a patch pump which expires after 72hrs so have to change the site as it's part of the whole thing xx

Bill Wireman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was dreadful at changing my cannula when on tubed pump. All I can advise is to put in less insulin but that still relies on changing the set when you change the cartridge. I'm now on a patch pump which expires after 72hrs so have to change the site as it's part of the whole thing xx
Be advised that your problem may be with your insertion technique, to verify please examine the infusion set when extracted to see if the tubing has been bent. I noticed when inserting the infusion set that I had the same type of problems and tracked it back to removal of the protective cap on the needle. There are two things to watch for during the cap removal, first is the removal of the tape and second is the protective cap, both of which will generate an unwanted upward force on the plastic tubing surrounding the needle. Both will cause the tubing to be pulled back by your skin as it will be the first impacted by the tubing before the needle is able to create an opening which will generate a rolling or bending of the tubing during the insertion. Solution, I would suggest that you first remove the adhesive tape and then use a downward force on the protective cap to reseat the plastic tubing on the needle, next rotate the cap until it has fully disconnected and will then fall freely off into your hand. I have now noticed that my previous recommendation to rotate the cap 360 degrees is no longer valid with the new infusion sets you may have to rotate 2-4 times before the cap disconnects.
I should note that the tubing can also roll inward forming a donut shape which is not visible without using magnification to verify a problem, this will cause a restriction which can cause an error when pumping insulin into the cannula. While the tubing may not be bent when extracted and the pump may also appear to be operating normally after extraction, with the combination of backward pressure from the body combined with the donut shape will provide an explanation of the problems we see with the cannula.
These are just my observations, but you may try a simple test, when removing the cap, first lift upward vertically to determine if it is still attached this will show if you are generating a unwanted force thus creating a problem. This also applies to anyone who uses the serter device!

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Peter03 - can I ask how much insulin do you use over the 7 days ?.
I have to change my reservoir every 3 to 4 days but my infusion set lasts 7 days with no problems in fact I find my infusion sites are less of a problem than when I used to have to change my sets every 2 or 3 days

Reactions: Chas C

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have to change my reservoir every 3 to 4 days but my infusion set lasts 7 days with no problems in fact I find my infusion sites are less of a problem than when I used to have to change my sets every 2 or 3 days
Thanks this is good to know.