Medtronic 7 day infusion sets

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wondering if the Medtronic extended infusion set actually lasts 7 days, as I have just been told to change to them, I have to say I have only used the 3 day infusion sets for the last 18 years

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not Medtronic but wouldn't there be an issue with the amount of insulin pooling in one place, I'm not sure I'd want 7 days insulin in one place, that would cause absorption issues and lumps too, at best today I last 2 to 2.5 days. Is it just the tubing that lasts 7 days and you change the cannula every 2-3 days ? or the whole thing.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It,s the cannula that lasts 7 days, if you use more insulin than the reservoir then you just refill the reservoir, I am trying one now so we will see although I cannot see medtronic saying 7days if they don't work for 7 days, but I agree with you I only get 2 to 3 days out of my minimed quicksets

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd be concerned about this too, as I sometimes have to change my cannulas before 3 days due to absorption issues. I know my diabetes ruse had reservations about them as well, so will be interested to see how you get on, as I'm due a new pump this year.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's day 6 and I have to say my infusion set is still working o.k., I have decided to change it today as I am using a lot of insulin as I had my covid booster jab last week and as with my other covid jabs my bg,s need a lot more insulin to keep my bg levels okay, so I will see how my next one which is a 9mm one not the 6mm the hospital gave me last week, At the moment I am very impressed with the Medtronic extended infusion set as before I could only get 2 to 3 days out of my infusion sets, I will try to keep this one on for the full 7 days

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Some days I can barely get an infusion set to last a day and it’s supposed to last 3 days. If it’s supposed to last 7 and doesn’t, I see a serious issue with supplies.

Deejaypdex

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Peter03 thanks for sharing your experiences with us! I’m very excited to get hold of the 7 day infusion set and give it a try. I’ve been told it hasn’t launched in the UK yet. Are you in the UK, and has it now launched, or are you part of a trial?

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some days I can barely get an infusion set to last a day and it’s supposed to last 3 days. If it’s supposed to last 7 and doesn’t, I see a serious issue with supplies.
It was my desision to change it on the 6th day it was still working fine, I don't understand what the serious issue would be, I quite often changed my previous infusion sets after 2decision

Last edited:

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey @Peter03 thanks for sharing your experiences with us! I’m very excited to get hold of the 7 day infusion set and give it a try. I’ve been told it hasn’t launched in the UK yet. Are you in the UK, and has it now launched, or are you part of a trial?
Oh I see, no I live in France, very pleased with the first one I will see how the next few go till I say they are great or not

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just started my 5th extended 7 day infusion set, I have been pleased with them I normally get 6 days from them, I have just received another 3 months supply of the extended infusion sets and extended reservoirs, I normally only get 2 max 3 days from normal infusion sets so pleased I do not get any infusion site problems because I did with the normal infusion sets

Deejaypdex

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just started my 5th extended 7 day infusion set, I have been pleased with them I normally get 6 days from them, I have just received another 3 months supply of the extended infusion sets and extended reservoirs, I normally only get 2 max 3 days from normal infusion sets so pleased I do not get any infusion site problems because I did with the normal infusion sets

Thanks for updating us, really excited to try them! Very glad they are working out well for you

xenomorph2020

Has anyone in UK got Medtronic to say when its coming to UK?
When I spoke to them in March they just did not know 7 day sets were real lol

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know when they will be available in the UK but I have used them here in France for the last few months and can say they work, although I normally only get 5 or 6 days but that is so much better than 2 or 3 days

adamrit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been on Medtronic pump, 640G for many years and a diabetic for 66 years. I have to test 6-8 x a day because of no hypo awareness. I change my Quickset every four days with no problems with insulin delivery or more high BGs. Why is there a difference? How can some people have change their insulin every day or two and every four days? I’ve gone five days a few times and there has never been a problem. I have changed the Quickset only because Medtronic say 2-3 days and every diabetic nurse freaks out if you say you change it every four days. I test BG very carefully on the 4th day to make sure and the readings look the same. I would change more often if there was the slightest detectible difference. What affects this? If it isn’t the insulin in the cannula solidifying or whatever I was told, what is it?
Adam

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me it was that it either just stopped working and bg,s shot up or after 3 days I would get irritation at the infusion site, I have been using the extended infusion sets for 6 months now and have been getting six or seven days out of them lately which I am very pleased with

Tr4cyh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know when they will be available in the UK but I have used them here in France for the last few months and can say they work, although I normally only get 5 or 6 days but that is so much better than 2 or 3 days
Hi Peter. Do you know if there’s anywhere in France I can but the 7day infusion sets for delivery to uk? Would really benefit my daughter and I’m getting desperate ‍♀️

Evan1646

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Disclaimer: I live in Canada, specifically, in the Province of Ontario (we get some coverage for infusion sets through our Provincial healthcare plan. We have to pay out of pocket first, and then get three cheques of $600 distributed to us throughout a fiscal year to cover reservoirs and infusion set costs).

I've been using the 7 day extended set for about six weeks now. I have a feeling that the site is losing absorption capacity or insulin sensitivity at the end of day 5. Beginning overnight on the sixth day, I've started noticing that my blood sugars suddenly spike. I will try to verify that this is a problem with the set and not just natural hormonal fluctuations over the next couple of set changes.

If the sets only last for 5 days, I can't say that these sets will be worth it financially. Right now you only get 3 sets in a box from Medtronic Canada, which costs $192 in Canada. If you were to get 7 days, that's only 21 days worth of sets. A box of the usual three day infusion sets gives you a maximum of 30 days for about $235 (mio advanced).

If the 7 day set only lasts 5 days (and I tend to be able to wear a normal set for 4 days, so some people might not even get 5 days out of the extended set), then you're paying $192 for 15 days max. So if you have to double that to get 30 days worth of supplies, which is what I could get with the mio advance, then you're now paying $384, which is $150 more for a 30 day supply of infusion sets.

The cost effectiveness of the 7 day reservoirs will be dependent upon how many days your insulin absorbs effectively (of course if you also have a medtronic sensor, your pump might automatically adjust for this discrepancy, if the sensor works properly for you; but this could lead to problems down the road because you're infusing far more insulin than you really should be in order to cover the lack of absorption). Now if you have insurance that covers all of your supply costs, then it's not really an issue. You could keep the site in for four, five or six days and not worry about the extra cost. I suppose if you can only get 1 or two days out of a normal infusion set site, then the cost might also equal out. So I've got two more sets to try. I think I'll go back to the three day sets though, if the 7 day sets only last for 5 days, as "5 day sets" would be double the cost of 3 day sets. My two cents.

Reactions: Prancy

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Disclaimer: I live in Canada, specifically, in the Province of Ontario (we get some coverage for infusion sets through our Provincial healthcare plan. We have to pay out of pocket first, and then get three cheques of $600 distributed to us throughout a fiscal year to cover reservoirs and infusion set costs).

I've been using the 7 day extended set for about six weeks now. I have a feeling that the site is losing absorption capacity or insulin sensitivity at the end of day 5. Beginning overnight on the sixth day, I've started noticing that my blood sugars suddenly spike. I will try to verify that this is a problem with the set and not just natural hormonal fluctuations over the next couple of set changes.

If the sets only last for 5 days, I can't say that these sets will be worth it financially. Right now you only get 3 sets in a box from Medtronic Canada, which costs $192 in Canada. If you were to get 7 days, that's only 21 days worth of sets. A box of the usual three day infusion sets gives you a maximum of 30 days for about $235 (mio advanced).

If the 7 day set only lasts 5 days (and I tend to be able to wear a normal set for 4 days, so some people might not even get 5 days out of the extended set), then you're paying $192 for 15 days max. So if you have to double that to get 30 days worth of supplies, which is what I could get with the mio advance, then you're now paying $384, which is $150 more for a 30 day supply of infusion sets.

The cost effectiveness of the 7 day reservoirs will be dependent upon how many days your insulin absorbs effectively (of course if you also have a medtronic sensor, your pump might automatically adjust for this discrepancy, if the sensor works properly for you; but this could lead to problems down the road because you're infusing far more insulin than you really should be in order to cover the lack of absorption). Now if you have insurance that covers all of your supply costs, then it's not really an issue. You could keep the site in for four, five or six days and not worry about the extra cost. I suppose if you can only get 1 or two days out of a normal infusion set site, then the cost might also equal out. So I've got two more sets to try. I think I'll go back to the three day sets though, if the 7 day sets only last for 5 days, as "5 day sets" would be double the cost of 3 day sets. My two cents.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on the 7 day infusion sets for 2 years now and I usually get 7 days with them but we are different also recently started on the Medtronic sensor 4 and am finding the last the full 7 days as well

Reactions: Prancy

Evan1646

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on the 7 day infusion sets for 2 years now and I usually get 7 days with them but we are different also recently started on the Medtronic sensor 4 and am finding the last the full 7 days as well
I'm really hoping that this was just a weird hormonal fluctuation (I often get weird glucose readings, along with problems with sleep and digestion, in the late spring and late fall). This is the first or second time I saw my blood sugars really jump on day 5 or 6, I don't recall if they did in the weeks prior, so I have to wait and see. I'm really hoping they'll last for the full 7 days. It's a game changer if they do.