1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Medtronic 7 day infusion sets

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Peter03, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Peter03

Peter03 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just wondering if the Medtronic extended infusion set actually lasts 7 days, as I have just been told to change to them, I have to say I have only used the 3 day infusion sets for the last 18 years

2. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm not Medtronic but wouldn't there be an issue with the amount of insulin pooling in one place, I'm not sure I'd want 7 days insulin in one place, that would cause absorption issues and lumps too, at best today I last 2 to 2.5 days. Is it just the tubing that lasts 7 days and you change the cannula every 2-3 days ? or the whole thing.

3. Peter03

It,s the cannula that lasts 7 days, if you use more insulin than the reservoir then you just refill the reservoir, I am trying one now so we will see although I cannot see medtronic saying 7days if they don't work for 7 days, but I agree with you I only get 2 to 3 days out of my minimed quicksets

4. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd be concerned about this too, as I sometimes have to change my cannulas before 3 days due to absorption issues. I know my diabetes ruse had reservations about them as well, so will be interested to see how you get on, as I'm due a new pump this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Peter03

It's day 6 and I have to say my infusion set is still working o.k., I have decided to change it today as I am using a lot of insulin as I had my covid booster jab last week and as with my other covid jabs my bg,s need a lot more insulin to keep my bg levels okay, so I will see how my next one which is a 9mm one not the 6mm the hospital gave me last week, At the moment I am very impressed with the Medtronic extended infusion set as before I could only get 2 to 3 days out of my infusion sets, I will try to keep this one on for the full 7 days

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Some days I can barely get an infusion set to last a day and it’s supposed to last 3 days. If it’s supposed to last 7 and doesn’t, I see a serious issue with supplies.

7. Deejaypdex

Deejaypdex LADA · Member

Hey @Peter03 thanks for sharing your experiences with us! I’m very excited to get hold of the 7 day infusion set and give it a try. I’ve been told it hasn’t launched in the UK yet. Are you in the UK, and has it now launched, or are you part of a trial?

8. Peter03

It was my desision to change it on the 6th day it was still working fine, I don't understand what the serious issue would be, I quite often changed my previous infusion sets after 2decision

#8 Peter03, Jan 24, 2022 at 12:08 PM
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  9. Peter03

Oh I see, no I live in France, very pleased with the first one I will see how the next few go till I say they are great or not

10. Peter03

Just started my 5th extended 7 day infusion set, I have been pleased with them I normally get 6 days from them, I have just received another 3 months supply of the extended infusion sets and extended reservoirs, I normally only get 2 max 3 days from normal infusion sets so pleased I do not get any infusion site problems because I did with the normal infusion sets

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Deejaypdex

Deejaypdex LADA · Member

Thanks for updating us, really excited to try them! Very glad they are working out well for you

12. xenomorph2020

xenomorph2020 · Active Member

Has anyone in UK got Medtronic to say when its coming to UK?
    When I spoke to them in March they just did not know 7 day sets were real lol

13. Peter03

I don't know when they will be available in the UK but I have used them here in France for the last few months and can say they work, although I normally only get 5 or 6 days but that is so much better than 2 or 3 days

14. adamrit

adamrit Type 1 · Member

I’ve been on Medtronic pump, 640G for many years and a diabetic for 66 years. I have to test 6-8 x a day because of no hypo awareness. I change my Quickset every four days with no problems with insulin delivery or more high BGs. Why is there a difference? How can some people have change their insulin every day or two and every four days? I’ve gone five days a few times and there has never been a problem. I have changed the Quickset only because Medtronic say 2-3 days and every diabetic nurse freaks out if you say you change it every four days. I test BG very carefully on the 4th day to make sure and the readings look the same. I would change more often if there was the slightest detectible difference. What affects this? If it isn’t the insulin in the cannula solidifying or whatever I was told, what is it?
    Adam

15. Peter03

For me it was that it either just stopped working and bg,s shot up or after 3 days I would get irritation at the infusion site, I have been using the extended infusion sets for 6 months now and have been getting six or seven days out of them lately which I am very pleased with

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook