Medtronic Guardian 4 CGM

Deejaypdex

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, and a very merry Christmas, my first post here!

I’m trying to choose a pump for hybrid closed loop, and have decided that the Medtronic 780g would be best for me.

The only sticking point at the moment is that the Guardian 3 CGM gets many bad reviews. I’ve been told by the time I start on my pump, I’ll be using Guardian 4 sensors with no calibrations.

My question is - is there anyone on the forum that has actually used the Guardian 4 sensors yet, and if so, are they significantly better / more reliable / easier to live with than the Guardian 3s?

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, and a very merry Christmas, my first post here!

I’m trying to choose a pump for hybrid closed loop, and have decided that the Medtronic 780g would be best for me.

The only sticking point at the moment is that the Guardian 3 CGM gets many bad reviews. I’ve been told by the time I start on my pump, I’ll be using Guardian 4 sensors with no calibrations.

My question is - is there anyone on the forum that has actually used the Guardian 4 sensors yet, and if so, are they significantly better / more reliable / easier to live with than the Guardian 3s?

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Medtronic are quoting mid 2022 for the launch date in UK, so I'd doubt anyone unless on a trial will have experience. I would ask for a confirmed guarantee that pump will come with the 4. In my experience on pumps the quoted launch dates for new capability is usually earlier than the actual.

Deejaypdex

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Chas C

I spoke with a Medtronic rep yesterday that told me the Guardian 4s were available now, but are in short supply at the moment and should be more widely available at the end of Jan 2022. I didn’t specifically ask, but got the impression there were some people currently using it. I think I’ll get back in touch to double check that with them.

Are you a user of the Guardian 3s at all?

Reactions: Chas C

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Chas C

I spoke with a Medtronic rep yesterday that told me the Guardian 4s were available now, but are in short supply at the moment and should be more widely available at the end of Jan 2022. I didn’t specifically ask, but got the impression there were some people currently using it. I think I’ll get back in touch to double check that with them.

Are you a user of the Guardian 3s at all?

Great news if its correct, sorry I'm not a Medtronic user.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have the 780G and started in January this year with the Guardian 3 sensors. I finally got the Guardian 4 sensors about 3 months ago. It has been totally life changing. No blood sugar tests required after the first couple of weeks as the algorithum got to know me, no alarms at night and my latest HBA1C was 53, the lowest it’s ever been in my 40+ years as a Type 1 diabetic. I am loving it. I hope you got the G4 sensors and are having as much happiness in your life as me. Anna x

• Winner
Reactions: Hopeful34