Medtronic MiniMed 640G System

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or, take the 640g now and change to the Animas in 4 years when they have ironed out any problems perhaps....

Thats an option as well. The only reason i made my suggestion is that Animas has a small upgrade fee (they told me 800$ CDN) to get the newest model pump. Its usually easier just to upgrade within companies then switching all together (at least in my situation switching companies is a huge no-no with the funding i get)

Reactions: 2 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On the older Medtronic pumps the insulin could be delivered using a tiny circular remote which loads of peeps thought useless, so not sure about the 640G?
I have just been given the old medtronic pump? they told me that there was no one trained on the newer one. and i have set up the remote for 2 units on a press on the key fob but it dos'nt seem right. trying to work out beeps. always feel better to look at the pump and just give a quick bolus.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Okay, so I've made my decision on which pump to go for....

(Drum roll)....

I'm going with the Medtronic 640G. I have texted Jan, my DSN, this morning so will just wait to hear back from her now. :) Am very excited but at the same time VERY nervous that I am, in effect, putting my life in the hands of a machine!! Eeek!! :)

Reactions: 5 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Haha, thanks, am I going to need it? :-/ I am under no illusion about the problems with the CGM side of things but I'm holding out hope that the more people who start to use it will have a knock on effect and get them to sort issues out! Fingers crossed anyway! The pump looks fantastic though!

Can't wait!! :)

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure things will be fine with your Medtronic 640g @Spicey245 , it looks a great pump. I've been very happy with my Veo for the past 4 years and can't wait to swap over to the 640g when it arrives at my clinic.

Good luck getting started with your new pump :) Medtronic customer care are great and very helpful with any questions you may have.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you @Flowerpot, I am really excited about going on a pump (and quite nervous obviously). I am hoping in time it will really help my control. :)

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ooh are you getting the 640G too @Brava210? How very exciting!! And yes, please let me how you get on! :)

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Today's the day for @Brava210!! :)

Still not heard back from my DSN, getting impatient now!! :rolleyes:

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
@Spicey245

Hi, well I am now wearing the 640g.
First impressions are it's better than I thought it would be.
The link with the BG meter is quite good too, weather I will stick with it I am not sure as I like the Accu Chek active as it's stripless
It has a few quirks compared to the vibe.. the BG reading only shows on the screen for 12 minutes then it reverts to just
3 dashes. which is a bit of a waste of screen space.
The clip seems to be ok, better than I thought
It's early days obviously, a bit sad powering down old faithful vibe too.
It's odd that when you are wearing the 640g the screen from your point of view is totally upside down.
The vibe was easier to read as its mounted sideways so you can see it better if that makes sense
The motor on the 640g is very very quiet when rewinding etc, the vibe makes a horrible SSSSSSHHHHhhh
noise which I have always found a bit nasty.
It's all up and running which is always good

Reactions: 4 people

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1430318199.177350.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1430318229.642675.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1430318244.267846.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1430318689.803139.jpg

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
It shows a half empty Vial if you look it is a yellow colour in the top notification bar which means half empty/full
That's because its a 3ml pump with a 1,8ml cartridge
The 1.8 ml pump is not available yet, which is the model i wanted really and the rep only had 1.8 cartridges :eek:
There is only a fraction of a size difference so not to worry
Unlike the Vibe which shows the number of units remaining on the main screen at all times.
You have to press a couple of buttons on the 640 for this info although this doesn't really matter as I usually have 80 -90 units remaining when I do a set change

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you are up and running with the 640g @Brava210 .

I've been told I can either wait until later in the year for the 1.8ml 640g or start a 3ml pump in 2 weeks. I've decided to go for the 3ml pump even though I only use about 18 - 19 units per day. Do the 1.8ml reservoirs work alright with the 3ml pump as I wasn't sure if they were the same width or not and if there were any other issues. I was going to order some 3ml reservoirs but if I can use up my 1.8ml reservoirs then I'll do that first.

I hope your first Medtronic day runs smoothly.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh fab Gary, glad you are all up and running on the 640G! I am a bit jealous! ;-) It looks fab, will probably take a bit of getting used to since you've been used to the Vibe by the sounds of it. :) Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

With regard to getting a 1.8ml pump or a 3ml pump, what does that actually mean? Is the 3ml pump a bit bigger or does it mean you just don't have to fill it up as often as you would if you had the 1.8ml? Sorry if that sounds a stupid question!

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm about to get the 640G too - soo excited! @Flowerpot I wondered about whether to wait for the 1.8ml too, but the size difference is only 1cm to the height, width and length are exactly the same - and you can use either 3ml or 1.8ml cartridges in the 3ml, so I figured I didn't have the patience to wait any longer too :)

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
@ flowerpot. Yes the 1.8 fit ok. It just means the pump has to wind in further when you prime the pump.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
@Spicey245 Well side by side with the reps pump which was 1.8. The size difference is less than 1cm. It's very little indeed
Not worth worrying about. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
With regard to getting a 1.8ml pump or a 3ml pump, what does that actually mean? Is the 3ml pump a bit bigger or does it mean you just don't have to fill it up as often as you would if you had the 1.8ml? Sorry if that sounds a stupid question!

Hi... The difference is the amount of insulin the pump will hold :) the 3ml one holds more - I *think* 300 units but I may have that ratio wrong; and the 1.8ml 180 units.

The 3ml one has the ability to have either a 1.8 or 3ml reservoir - so that bit means you theoretically have more variability with the 3ml one.

The 3ml one is however a tiny bit bigger / heavier as a result - but it's literally only 1cm taller and 10g heavier. I would have preferred the 1.8ml but Medtronic haven't even started making them yet - they told me they will likely not be released till the end of the year at the earliest. So for the tiny size / weight difference I'll still be v happy with the 3ml; which I'm set to get in about 5weeks :))