Medtronic MiniMed 640G System

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Hi... The difference is the amount of insulin the pump will hold :) the 3ml one holds more - I *think* 300 units but I may have that ratio wrong; and the 1.8ml 180 units.

The 3ml one has the ability to have either a 1.8 or 3ml reservoir - so that bit means you theoretically have more variability with the 3ml one.

The 3ml one is however a tiny bit bigger / heavier as a result - but it's literally only 1cm taller and 10g heavier. I would have preferred the 1.8ml but Medtronic haven't even started making them yet - they told me they will likely not be released till the end of the year at the earliest. So for the tiny size / weight difference I'll still be v happy with the 3ml; which I'm set to get in about 5weeks :))

Strange that the Rep had a 1.8 which I compared mine too, and the difference is only Millimetres

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1430329637.215929.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1430329656.294313.jpg

Picture of meter and pump delivering bolus.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Thanks for explanation! :) Don't think I could be bothered waiting for the 1.8ml either in that case! ;-)

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
@Spicey245 Any news from your DSN?

I used Medtronic helpline today, I had a problem installing the Carelink software on my laptop
They were very good and remotely controlled my computer and sorted it
Very impressive

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Not a dicky! Going to ring her tomorrow! ;-) Glad to hear Medtronic helpline did an excellent job of helping you, that's good to know! :)

Reactions: 2 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not a dicky! Going to ring her tomorrow! ;-) Glad to hear Medtronic helpline did an excellent job of helping you, that's good to know! :)
I have herd Medtronic helpline is very good. that for me is a top priority English speaking customer care. its just the rest of the world that sometimes lets us down....sorry rest of the world:(

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes good customer support is absolutely essential!

Discovered today that my DSN is on holiday which is why I've not heard from her, she's back next Tuesday so will have to wait till then!

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
@Spicey245 get yourself on the list as soon as you can, I know the rep that did our training was very busy

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's the plan! :) I've already text her to tell her I want to be put on the list for the 640G, just not sure how long I'll have to wait for it. Hopefully not too long. :)

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
DSN emailed me back on Wednesday this week, she has told me she's waiting to hear back from Medtronic who are going to send someone to the island to give the DSN's & the patients training as it's so new even the DSN's haven't had their training yet! :)

ConsultingTimeLordElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm getting the Medtronic 640g on Tuesday (only 3 days to go!) and I chose it because of the CGM and smartguard. I currently don't have hypo awareness so CGM is definitely something I need. I put my name down for the pump in November and the pump wasn't actually released until March. So really I didn't have to wait that long, hopefully you won't either.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
You won't regret it. I find the cannulas much kinder on my body than the ones I used with the vibe.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks everyone, no, I hope I won't regret going on the pump, although I'm sure I won't. I certainly won't miss the 4 injections everyday that's for sure! ;-) @Brava210 that's good to know about the cannulas being kinder! I have to say, the Animas cannula was far kinder to me than the Omnipod pod that I tried out for a few days!! I bled really badly when I took the pod off, it left a scar too... the Animas hardly left a mark so if the Medtronic are even better then that's great news. :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Heard an interesting piece of news relating to the 640G today from a friend who's son is going on one. Apparently in the UK Medtronic have packaged up the CGM system as part of the pump so that funding for the pump includes the cgm sensors. I don't know if it is being issued like that across the board but it certainly changes the cost of entry discussion.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@tim2000s that would be amazing! I really hope that's the case for the Isle of Man too!! How exciting!! :)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Heard an interesting piece of news relating to the 640G today from a friend who's son is going on one. Apparently in the UK Medtronic have packaged up the CGM system as part of the pump so that funding for the pump includes the cgm sensors. I don't know if it is being issued like that across the board but it certainly changes the cost of entry discussion.

It's certainly not across the board. I received my 640G a fortnight ago and only got the Contour Link glucose meter along with it. I was so disappointed that Medtronic was not giving the CGM along with it. This was in Glasgow.

My DSN said that some English health boards must have come to an arrangement with Medtronic to provide the CGM package.

I wish I knew who was funding it, Medtronic or the health boards. I find it hard to believe that health boards would fund the CGM starter pack, on the off chance that their patients would self fund future sensors. But if Medtronic is funding it, it is definitely a postcode lottery, because some patients are receiving the starter pack while others are receiving only the transmitter, or perhaps the transmitter with only one sensor.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got 1 sensor, a transmitter, charger and inserter with my pump (Warwickshire)