Meeting with nurse today

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
There was an attempt to set one up last year but I think I was the only person to express an interest.
That's a great shame, I have learned a lot from my PPG and just looking at allowing patients access to their records is a process where I was amazed at what is required of the GPs themselves.

Reactions: Prem51

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Join your patient participation group. The NHS is under tremendous strain, especially with GP numbers decreasing and our expectations increasing. Her majesty's government seem to think that just by saying things like "we will have GP cover 7 days a week" will mean it will happen, prepare yourselves for a big surprise, it isn't going to happen.
I also think that any problems with our care should be discussed with the care giver in a formal manner, in writing. Discussing our woes on a forum achieves very little except for highlighting how widespread these issues are.
I will defend our NHS to my last breath, warts and all. We don't want the sort of system they have in the US.
Seriously, join your patient participation group, it will help in understanding the sorts of problems that running a surgery involves and will also help in conveying your own issues with the way things are run.
I have David. Ironically I was told by a couple of people on the forum that it wasn’t worth it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DavidGrahamJones I agree with you, but my GP Surgery doesn't have a Patient Participation Group. There was an attempt to set one up last year but I think I was the only person to express an interest.
Ours was very slow. One individual tried to get one going and had to threaten them with legal action to get some action. :D

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing that stuck out to me on diagnosis at my first appointment with the Consultant, was him saying quite firmly 'Do NOT sit back and wait for things like appointments or eye tests or anything else, when you know they are due or have been missed, CONTACT them'. I queried why we would have to and he said with the best will in the world, systems get muddled and things get missed, be proactive with YOUR health'.
That is what I do. They tend to forget you otherwise.

Reactions: KK123

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor put NFA on my notes - I don't know if that is no further action, no further appointments or no further attention - but it feels a bit like all three.
We also use it to denote No Fixed Abode - hopefully, that wasn't what they meant!! Over the years I have noted a lot of poor communication between various official healthcare agencies - the Trust I work for is right next to the big general hospital, but the communication between the two trusts is dismal. I am pretty sure that there was joined-up thinking about your appointment and this was a totally different one to the diabetes checks. Best to try to find out - be pro-active, it's best.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning I had a phone call from my practice to arrange an appointment - oh good, I thought - I will get some checks done - yes - but for my cholesterol.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
My doctor put NFA on my notes - I don't know if that is no further action, no further appointments or no further attention - but it feels a bit like all three.
No Fixed Abode? (Joke) I have had an HbA1c in the 30's for 5 years but am still summoned annually and do appreciate the foot check, monitoring of B12 levels and BMI etc.

Reactions: Prem51