I love melon and parma ham
Question is what effect can I expect from eating it
Dont want to do it if it will spike bs
Anyone tried it

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everybody reacts differently. The only way for you to know is to test.

kevin hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep I'll do that and let you all know, I am offto france later this year and this was one of our staple lunches, just thought maybe someone else already tried it so I'll be rhe guinea pig then

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - you need to get used to checking carb values of the foods you fancy eating - melon is at the higher end of low carb fruits so I'd suggest you go with less than 100 g portions and test your response. Just use common sense! Most meat is virtually carb free unless it's processed and been prepared with sugary or starchy additives, so always check ingredients too, but I imagine you could have a good scoff of your parma ham without any problem! (If you're eating out, Google usually can give you generic values for various food stuffs.)

Robbity

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only advice that I had from my GP when I was diagnosed with diabetes was (lots of fruit and vegetables but not melons or mangoes ) !!! Test and see
CAROL

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If I want to eat something a little high in carbs I deduct that from what I allow myself a day, and limit what else I eat so not to go over my self imposed limits.

That works for me.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, test. I have found melons not so bad as far as fruits go, personally---maybe because of so much water? Better than apples, citrus, grapes. But I'm talking a few bites, not a whole bowlful, of course.

Reactions: Kristin251

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't tolerate melon and have to keep berries very small portions, like one strawberry. We are all different. But that one strawberry is a nice treat.

Reactions: Kristin251

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't tolerate melon and have to keep berries very small portions, like one strawberry. We are all different. But that one strawberry is a nice treat.
I found out one strawberry and a few blueberries over fixed a hypo haha
Not much need for glucotabs though I always have them ready. Everywhere. Not sure what melon would do. At all!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I found out one strawberry and a few blueberries over fixed a hypo haha
Not much need for glucotabs though I always have them ready. Everywhere. Not sure what melon would do. At all!
Only one way to find out :hungry:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Only one way to find out :hungry:
No need. Other foods I prefer. Now a nice ripe cherry might be worth testing!
For Mothers Day and my B day I always get a huge dark choco covered strawberry. I split it with my hubby and make my half last for dessert for three meals haha. I really have lost my sweet tooth

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I want to eat something a little high in carbs I deduct that from what I allow myself a day, and limit what else I eat so not to go over my self imposed limits.

That works for me.
But do you get a bigger than normal spike doing this, because that's what I try to avoid rather than worrying too much about going a bit over my daily carbs "allowance"??

Robbity