Memory loss after severe hypo

Apbnab

I had a severe hypo on Tuesday morning, I got up did my b's it was 6, had a shower, and my husband found me hours later on the bed just coming round after fitting, he gave me a glucogon but had to call an ambulance as my b's were still going low.
Now I can't remember anything from Monday, Tuesday or yesterday and today home doesn't feel like home.
I have been a diabetic for 39 years and have had a few severe hypos but this time I'm more concerned as my mind has gone blank, I still don't feel 100% yet........ should I've concerned?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now I can't remember anything from Monday, Tuesday or yesterday and today home doesn't feel like home.
I have been a diabetic for 39 years and have had a few severe hypos but this time I'm more concerned as my mind has gone blank, I still don't feel 100% yet........ should I've concerned?
Do you have a diabetes team you can contact to ask about this?

I hope you'll start to feel better in the next few days, sounds like a horrible experience!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, hope to find you feel better.

Before I was diagnosed I was having continuous hypos most days. I was unaware of what they were doing to my health. But the hypos really affected my short term memory. Sometimes I would jump awake and not have an idea how, why and where I was and how I got there!
There are birthdays, parties, anniversaries and any number of occasions that I have no memory whatsoever. I have read books, then reread them and its like I have never read Them
I am aware of when you reach the the different stages of sleep, it can effect your memory or brain function if you don't attain deep sleep phase, that is the area in sleep where your body restores your mental energy, the feeling rough, is your brain getting over the hypos.
I still have the occasional vivid dreams, and I remember them. This is another example of sleep deprivation and not being as brain healthy as you should be.

But do have a word with your health care team.

Reactions: Sandwich-Phil

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I got up did my b's it was 6, had a shower, and my husband found me hours later on the bed just coming round after fitting, he gave me a glucogon but had to call an ambulance as my b's were still going low.

I'm interested in the circumstances surrounding how you went into the hypo. How much fast acting insulin did you have after you got up and what did you eat?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had memory loss from a bad hypo before, I was asleep and didn't wake up as I'd lost my hypo awareness. I had a seizure but at the time we didn't know that it was a hypo that was the cause so I had to have tests done, including an MRI, EEG and ECG and I had to go to an epilepsy clinic.
Do you have good hypo awareness usually? If it's not good then you need to see what you can do about improving it. For me, it meant I was eligible for a pump.
It's a horrible thing to have happened, I hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: Apbnab

Apbnab

I'm interested in the circumstances surrounding how you went into the hypo. How much fast acting insulin did you have after you got up and what did you eat?
I don't think I had any fast acting insulin as I didn't eat breakfast, I would have had my long-term tresibo which I split 80/80 AM and PM, they are both in the same case so I am wondering if I had 80 novorapid by mistake

Apbnab

I've had memory loss from a bad hypo before, I was asleep and didn't wake up as I'd lost my hypo awareness. I had a seizure but at the time we didn't know that it was a hypo that was the cause so I had to have tests done, including an MRI, EEG and ECG and I had to go to an epilepsy clinic.
Do you have good hypo awareness usually? If it's not good then you need to see what you can do about improving it. For me, it meant I was eligible for a pump.
It's a horrible thing to have happened, I hope you feel better soon.
My hypo awareness is down to about 3.2 - 2.8 now, I've had diabeties for 39 years.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am wondering if I had 80 novorapid by mistake
Sounds plausible if you don't normally have such severe hypo's.
I think a lot of us made this mistake, at least I did! It was only luck I noticed when putting the pen away.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a severe hypo on Tuesday morning, I got up did my b's it was 6, had a shower, and my husband found me hours later on the bed just coming round after fitting, he gave me a glucogon but had to call an ambulance as my b's were still going low.

Hi,
44 years of T1 for me.. Never lost consciousness. Though I have come close as a kid back in "the day" on the porcine insulin..
In my own experience taking a shower or something like a sauna can increase insulin sensitivity.

I don't think I had any fast acting insulin as I didn't eat breakfast, I would have had my long-term tresibo which I split 80/80 AM and PM, they are both in the same case so I am wondering if I had 80 novorapid by mistake

If you had injected Novorapid by mistake? This could have hit you hard after the aformentioned shower.?

If you still have memory issues? Please press to get yourself professionally assessed.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

Yeah, that would be a huge amount of novorapid if you did somehow have it by mistake.

I take quite a bit lower dose than you, but generally any hypo with long acting insulin comes on pretty gradually for me (like with an advanced warning of feeling weak and hungry).

I hope that you start feeling better soon.

parentjoe

My teenage son gets severe migraines if his blood sugar is low for too long (usually at night). This manifests as memory loss. He has lost a couple of days before just as you describe,