Memory loss

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a bit confused with the car- told my husband I was going Scenic!

Reactions: 5 people

Woosy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel so much better just reading this! I've been struggling for months and got myself in a right knot at work! Mental fog most of the time, I can read a page and then forget what it said within seconds! I stop mid sentence all the time, driving the family mad. I get anxious anywhere new. Forget names all the time, I could go on but there's so much I would be rambling! Trip to the Drs I think, with a list, or else I'll forget!

Reactions: 6 people

david6026

Yeah its causing me problems each day cuz it's cracking me up so much lol feel like people think I'm daft as I can't remember things they have said lol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You don't have to worry unless you find a cat in your fridge...

Said that to my mum... (She worried about her memory). She said " but we haven't got a cat"- exactly mum so your memory isn't that bad!!!!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
More funny stories please as it brings some light relief from the technical, sad, serious and worrying threads.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Didn't find a cat in the fridge but found a mobile phone in the freezer before lol still worked lol
Cheese in the micro and phone in the freezer - Oh dear. Your house must be interesting to live in. How does your family cope with your quirks? At least I live alone, so no-one knows of the daft things I do.

Reactions: 3 people

moz1

Thought it was something wrong with me and not diabetes related. Any thoughts on what is causing it my thought process and memory seems worse when bs around 4 ish?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm no expert, but could it be that your brain is running low on glucose if your bs is around 4 ish. I know 4.2 is the floor for me, I shake like mad and have to chew glucose tabs, followed by some carbs. I try to keep my bs levels in the 5s and 6s. I'm sure a more experienced person will come along, but I do know from my own experience that bs in the low 4s is not good for me.

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad you raised this, it's a huge problem. I still have memory problems and I've got my BG under good control touch wood, average 5.7. I kept thinking things would improve. TBH I don't know if I just got used for years to higher BS. I can't stay there, bec terrified of complications and determined to minimise them. I thought being in ketosis ( the good kind, I low carb at 30g a day) would stop it - it hasn't. I wonder if long term it will go away. For the past ten days I've been taking extra salt, which very low carbers MUST do to avoid major intra-cell damage. I didn't know about that before. Things do seem a little better.

I think dementia several times a week. I think perhaps we should aim to get the brain fog a *little* better, over, say, three months at a time. But lower BG ought to help. Certainly higher BG is bad for brain health.

Lucy

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thought it was something wrong with me and not diabetes related. Any thoughts on what is causing it my thought process and memory seems worse when bs around 4 ish?
Even though your meter say's 4ish it could be reading high thus you are actually hypo and this can and does cause foggy brain.

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So glad you raised this, it's a huge problem. I still have memory problems and I've got my BG under good control touch wood, average 5.7. I kept thinking things would improve. TBH I don't know if I just got used for years to higher BS. I can't stay there, bec terrified of complications and determined to minimise them. I thought being in ketosis ( the good kind, I low carb at 30g a day) would stop it - it hasn't. I wonder if long term it will go away. For the past ten days I've been taking extra salt, which very low carbers MUST do to avoid major intra-cell damage. I didn't know about that before. Things do seem a little better.

I think dementia several times a week. I think perhaps we should aim to get the brain fog a *little* better, over, say, three months at a time. But lower BG ought to help. Certainly higher BG is bad for brain health.

Lucy
Lucy, like reading my diary.
Since post Christmas loss of control, when my BS was in the 20s, I have lost ten pounds due to finding this forum and starting gentle low carb, around 60g. Numbers are good have halved my Meds but experiencing extreme fatigue. 4s make me feel rubbish so I am 5,6, And 7.
Doesn't seem to explain why I feel so bad. Having to speak to managers at work about lightening my load. Hate that. Don't think I am depressed so why the brain fog? Considering early retirement even.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Since post Christmas loss of control, when my BS was in the 20s, I have lost ten pounds due to finding this forum and starting gentle low carb, around 60g. Numbers are good have halved my Meds but experiencing extreme fatigue. 4s make me feel rubbish so I am 5,6, And 7.
Doesn't seem to explain why I feel so bad. Having to speak to managers at work about lightening my load. Hate that. Don't think I am depressed so why the brain fog? Considering early retirement even.
Hi suercc, are you eating enough fat , at the start of lchf i wasn't and was getting similar problems that your describing, i upped my fat s, ( olive oil, coconut oil , butter, ) and feel lots better, also try more salt with your food,as most of the lchf are low in salt, hope you get in a good place soon ::))

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes , IF you are low carbing, extra salt is essential. If this is you I'll send you the details.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Since Christmas isn't long. It can take a while to get over initial low carb/keto-adapting 'flu.' You've only had two months. I th a longer time frame necessary.

Are you getting enough sleep? I need more since all this.

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi suercc, are you eating enough fat , at the start of lchf i wasn't and was getting similar problems that your describing, i upped my fat s, ( olive oil, coconut oil , butter, ) and feel lots better, also try more salt with your food,as most of the lchf are low in salt, hope you get in a good place soon ::))
Thanks for this. Didn't know

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

I'm no expert, but could it be that your brain is running low on glucose if your bs is around 4 ish. I know 4.2 is the floor for me, I shake like mad and have to chew glucose tabs, followed by some carbs. I try to keep my bs levels in the 5s and 6s. I'm sure a more experienced person will come along, but I do know from my own experience that bs in the low 4s is not good for me.
Hi june ...I can understand your response ...I know if I am low , brain fog sets in ....good to share from your own experience ...kat

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since Christmas isn't long. It can take a while to get over initial low carb/keto-adapting 'flu.' You've only had two months. I th a longer time frame necessary.

Are you getting enough sleep? I need more since all this.

Yes. I have noticed I need more sleep. Encouraging to hear that I am perhaps just being impatient.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.