Memory test at DB review

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone else have a memory test at their DB review or is it only for the ancient and decrepit ? I managed the counting backwards and the date I also managed to get the months counting backwards ok except that I mixed up April and May but who can tell the difference anyway ?!!! Then came the big test (Ta Da) she read out a name and address and told me to remember it -Then she asked more questions before going back to the name and address I got the name right and part of the street and the town right which was better than last time ,I am sure that it was the same as last time .The nurse said that it took her and the other nurse 3months to remember it !!I really should have asked her to write it down so that I can swat up for next year;) Any way they let me out so I must have passed
CAROL

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was meant to have a memory test last week but I forgot to go.

Reactions: MelissaC

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given one right at the beginning, in 2014 sometime. I passed and got all the questions right. I haven't been given another.
I asked the nurse why and she said it was a new innovation to catch cognitive impairment early, not related to being diabetic, just for us oldies of a certain age. On my on-line test results pages it refers to it as the "Six item cognitive impairment test" I got the name and address question too! I just kept repeating it in my head until the time came to say it. Not easy. My score was 0/28, which is top marks. I was chuffed.

https://patient.info/doctor/six-item-cognitive-impairment-test-6cit

When my mother was under the care of a geriatric consultant she was given a similar test. I was with her. Her questions were a lot harder, such as count backwards in 7s from 99. That was not easy especially for an 85 year old lady.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never done psycologicar or neurological tests for diabetes (Except the mallet on knee test that's actually a neurological test)

You are an IT professonal if you read this ad "Better to run Memtest86+ on the computer that runs the relational database software"...
i875-small.gif

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes
i had that at diabetic review last year too. It was a locum nurse. I was a bit miffed because all the clinic doors have a large notice stating 'one problem, one appointment', which I usually counter with the statement, 'I am your problem'!

The test was counting back in sevens from 100, months backwards, the address and name to remember and repeat further into the test, what the date was, the season, who is the prime minister, and what was the address of the surgery. Nurse said I was the only person who she had known to get all questions right.
One or both of us slipped up though, as I was called back in a week later as she hadn't done my feet check during the diabetes review.
:D

Reactions: Gannet

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had one of those memory tests and I thought I had done ok. When I looked on line at the summary it said errors for every one of the tests. I looked at the full report and each test said errors = 0 which had been abbreviated in the summary.

Reactions: Prem51

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When my mother was under the care of a geriatric consultant she was given a similar test. I was with her. Her questions were a lot harder, such as count backwards in 7s from 99. That was not easy especially for an 85 year old lady.
I'm not sure that I could do that very easily even if I had all my wits about me!! I remember my mum having a memory test after insisting she wanted to stay back in her own home after a spell in care after breaking a hip -but it was quite obvious that she was completely confused as to where she was and why she was there when she got back. I don't think her questions were very complicated - one was "Who's the prime minister?" She just sat there refusing to answer any of them and kept giving me sneaky looks that said - why are these daft b*****s asking me all these stupid questions?? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry for her...

Robbity

PS I haven't yet been asked to take such a test, and I think my short term memory is definitely not what it used to be! :banghead:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I am impressed.
I've got a fairly good memory for some things, and an excellent memory for a few things (mainly written word and visual stuff).
Give me anything auditory (song lyrics, spoken directions, etc) and I am hopeless.
I'm particularly weak with numbers.
So I would probably fail on all those tests as described here.
:D
I used to work with people with varying learning/memory styles and always used to encourage them to work out their own strengths and weaknesses, and then milk them shamelessly! haha!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do think the tests are flawed. Not much use to some people with dyslexia for example.
Also, having accompanied several people to appointments for their dementia, I sort of knew what to expect. Was well rehearsed. In addition, I was so mad that precious time (the GP's definition) was being spent on an issue other than that for which I had made the appointment. When I get mad, which isn't often, I am seldom beaten.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would add, if dementia can be detected early, as long as there is treatment and / or management, then I am ok about being tested.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My memory for written and heard is quite good. Not as good as when I was at school and college when I had a photographic memory. My O level exams were just "copied" from my notes. I could even visualise the page in my note book, what came before and what came after. Not quite the same with A levels and everything after that of course.

BUT nowadays I "lose" words quite frequently. Just above in my first post I used the words geriatric consultant. I knew what I wanted to say and what it meant, but could not think of the word geriatric. I had to ask my hubby!! He thought that was rather ironic and suggested I go to see one! :arghh:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do think the tests are flawed. Not much use to some people with dyslexia for example.
Also, having accompanied several people to appointments for their dementia, I sort of knew what to expect. Was well rehearsed. In addition, I was so mad that precious time (the GP's definition) was being spent on an issue other than that for which I had made the appointment. When I get mad, which isn't often, I am seldom beaten.

The memory clinic I took my mum to had a flawed test. She had to identify a series of simple black & white clip art pictures?
There was a crown & next to it was a salamander.. So she looked at it & said "that's a lizard."
They told her she was wrong at the end of the test, it was a crocodile..
So I said "hang on a minute! I'm no David Attenborough. But that representation had a destictive head like a snake & the tale of a newt."
Yes they replied, people often get it wrong due to it's scale against the crown..

It's got nothing to do with the fact your using a drawing of a lizard then. :banghead:

Reactions: covknit

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have never had a memory test at any diabetic reviews or even when I was diagnosed as being type2.
Though in march I saw my gp about another matter and mentioned to him about my memory.
He did the usual basic things and failed. He 2as going to refer me to the memory clinic. To this day, he still has, t done the referral .
It would be nice if he decided not to refer me, to be told if he had changed his mind

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
I was given a memory test when I went for my flu jab a couple of years ago. I was appalled to later read that back in 2014 the doctors were being paid different amounts if they did the test and found that a patient was showing signs of dementia. They were paid £55 per patient or even more. The "initiative" ran from October 2014 until March 2015 but I thought this sort of thing had been stopped after the protests about it being bribes until I read in a newspaper dated January 2017 that it's still going on but this time the doctor receives £150 or even £200 per patient but, if he can't be bothered to take it further he can refer the patient to another doctor and yet still receive £55. The excuse for this is that it relieves the pressure on memory assessment units. Don't think that any questions or "tests" that are done at your surgery are for your own good, even the pharmacists are getting in on the act. If they ask you if you'd like to have a review or "chat" about your current medication they'll be getting something like £26 for every "free" consultation they do and the more people they talk to the more they can "earn".

By the way, if you are asked to count back in sevens from 100 just do what I did and count back ten and add three!

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Does anyone else have a memory test at their DB review or is it only for the ancient and decrepit ? I managed the counting backwards and the date I also managed to get the months counting backwards ok except that I mixed up April and May but who can tell the difference anyway ?!!! Then came the big test (Ta Da) she read out a name and address and told me to remember it -Then she asked more questions before going back to the name and address I got the name right and part of the street and the town right which was better than last time ,I am sure that it was the same as last time .The nurse said that it took her and the other nurse 3months to remember it !!I really should have asked her to write it down so that I can swat up for next year;) Any way they let me out so I must have passed
CAROL
Sounds like the same test they gave hubby. He has to have a quarterly injection, nurse asked if that was all, he asked if there was anything else and he fluffed the address which was really good going as he has to keep checking what day it is. He really only passed because he has everything written down in a small notebook and keeps checking it. I never have been tested but since my dad is blind and unable to walk, mum has dementia and has not made a good recovery from her last hip op and hubby is recovering from a stroke I am probably exempt. We do our hello brain challenges every day and that helps a lot even though a lot of them sound really naff to anyone who is not housebound with mobility difficulties.

Reactions: Salvia and Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have never had a memory test at any diabetic reviews or even when I was diagnosed as being type2.
Though in march I saw my gp about another matter and mentioned to him about my memory.
He did the usual basic things and failed. He 2as going to refer me to the memory clinic. To this day, he still has, t done the referral .
It would be nice if he decided not to refer me, to be told if he had changed his mind
He's probably forgotten all about it.. Remind him.

Reactions: ally1

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was given one right at the beginning, in 2014 sometime. I passed and got all the questions right. I haven't been given another.
I asked the nurse why and she said it was a new innovation to catch cognitive impairment early, not related to being diabetic, just for us oldies of a certain age. On my on-line test results pages it refers to it as the "Six item cognitive impairment test" I got the name and address question too! I just kept repeating it in my head until the time came to say it. Not easy. My score was 0/28, which is top marks. I was chuffed.

https://patient.info/doctor/six-item-cognitive-impairment-test-6cit

Or a 48year old.... Bloody hell, numbers aren't my thing! I'm a grammar queen and avoid anything to do with maths at all costs