Menopause And Insulin Dependant Diabetes

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I am newly diagnosed with what they call 'secondary' diabetes due to complications with pancreatitis, Basically it's the same treatment as type 1, with insulin injections 4 times a day, blood sugar monitoring and careful diet. So far I have been on the insulin regime for a week and am slowing getting to grips with it and my blood sugars are down from an average of 27 to around 16 on 4ml of Aphidra 3 x day and 10ml Lantus before bed with 2 metformin 750mg tablets a day.
I know these BS levels are still far too high to worry about having a hypo, but I am assuming they will tweak the doses in time and do I have a concern. I am 53 and going through the menopause. I take no HRT , and am not allowed it for other health reasons, and I suffer really badly with hot flushes, particularly at night, but also quite frequently during the day. I always wake up with a damp bed. How will I know if I am having a hypo or if it is a hot flush? Many more of the symptoms are the same - headaches, irritability and lethargy. I'm afraid I will have my husband chasing me round the house with the emergency injection
just in case! (Only joking- but the sadist in him is dying to use that big needle and I'm determined he won't need to ).
I did ask at the diabetic clinic but they didn't seem to take it very seriously. All of them were too young to appreciate just how bad a hot flush can be.
I would be very grateful for any advice.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well I do not use insulin but I certainly appreciate how bad a hot flush can be. I think that you will have to depend on your meter to tell you which it is until you are past them. The good news is that they do go away eventually for most women. Maybe the type 1 ladies could give you a better suggestion. Welcome to the forum.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Kirktown :)

I've no idea about hot flushes, I'm afraid, but I can reassure you that the vast, vast majority of hypos don't need a Glucagon injection :) If you were well enough to run round the house, you'd simply have to drink some Lucozade or have some glucose tablets and your blood sugar would come up :)

If you get a hot flush at night, you could get into the habit of testing your blood sugar just so you can rule out a hypo.

Hopefully some ladies who've experienced the menopause will be along with some more advice later.

Jo123

Hi I'm not type 1, however I have plenty of experience of hot flushes.
I low carb and I have minimal hot flushes, however if I eat more carbs without fail my flushes increase in intensity and frequency. It makes a massive difference to me.
Some type 1's do low carb so they take less insulin therefore reducing the risk of hypos.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think diabetes secondary to pancreatitis is type 3c - there is a 3c bit of the forum which you migh want to have a look at (only because there might be useful info there on the challenges of 3c, of course I think your posts are welcome anywhere :) )

As for telling the difference between a hot flush and a hypo - there's only one way, test your blood sugar. In fact, if you haven't got anywhere close to a hypo yet, I'd be suggesting testing your blood sugar at any "funny feeling" until you get an idea of what your hypo symptoms are. Then, when you get hypo symptoms, also test your blood sugar so you know how low you are and can avoid over treating.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't suffer too badly from hot flushes but, with testing, I did find out the difference (for me). With hypos, I was hot all over, but with hot flushes, my back felt roasting hot, as if I was sitting with my back very close to a fire, and I could always feel sweat trickling down above my lips. Once I realised the difference, I didn't need to test so much.

Elvin7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you consider that you might have high BS because of hypos? Do you check your keton levels?

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks for all the useful suggestions. I'm afraid Elvin7 that as a newbie I don't know anything about keton levels and haven't, as yet, been asked to test them.

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I think diabetes secondary to pancreatitis is type 3c - there is a 3c bit of the forum which you migh want to have a look at (only because there might be useful info there on the challenges of 3c, of course I think your posts are welcome anywhere :) )

As for telling the difference between a hot flush and a hypo - there's only one way, test your blood sugar. In fact, if you haven't got anywhere close to a hypo yet, I'd be suggesting testing your blood sugar at any "funny feeling" until you get an idea of what your hypo symptoms are. Then, when you get hypo symptoms, also test your blood sugar so you know how low you are and can avoid over treating.

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I haven't been able to find the part of the Forum dealing with type 3C diabetes. Could you tell me how to search for it as I have tried and got nowhere.
Many Thanks,
Patricia.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
click on forums at the top of the page and it will give you a list of sub-forums 3C is there