Menstrual cycle and sugar levels

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So I know that sugars can rise (mine do by 1 or 2 points. I also find that the more uncontrolled my sugars are that the worse my mood swings are and add that to hormones and I’m like a lunatic.
Anyway, by the time my period starts and I hit day 3 my sugars drop like a lead balloon. Today is day 3 and I’ve hit 5.1 and 5.7 which is perfect.

but now I’m off meds for a bit it’s almost like from day 3 for I don’t know a week maybe, I’m in diabetic remission. My sugars are lovely and well behaved.

then poof, back to nonsense.

so is it possible that hormones are what is stopping me from being in full remission?

as soon as I. Seem to enter the cycle again even if 2-3 weeks away my sugars don’t go stupid but are too high (9 10 etc)

but at day 3 they are perfect.

hopefully this makes some sense.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @woollygal Makes perfect sense to me ;)

I too suffer really badly with my monthly hormonal cycle, the change brings about a stage of high readings followed by a massive drop after a day or so when I've started, taking insulin means I have to be careful and I have discussed it with doctors too, seems like having a hysterectomy is the only solution as I've tried a coil and that made it worse.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hello @woollygal Makes perfect sense to me ;)

I too suffer really badly with my monthly hormonal cycle, the change brings about a stage of high readings followed by a massive drop after a day or so when I've started, taking insulin means I have to be careful and I have discussed it with doctors too, seems like having a hysterectomy is the only solution as I've tried a coil and that made it worse.
Phew.
Feel like I’ve been going mad.
My behaviour last week was crazy. I was bursting into tears over anything and everything and just couldn’t cope. On their own I’m fine but sugars and hormones seem to be a killer.
I’m exactly like that. Except I’m not on insulin so I don’t change much. Other than the day it drops like today I get false hypos because it’s too low for me at the mo. And I need to eat more.
Annoying.
I’m also 47 so will speak to dr when I see her for new meds in Nov. When I was on meds my behaviour was far more controlled. Seems it’s gone way beyond good since I came off.