Mental health

Wingy1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a type 1 diabetic have been for most of my life. Been on anti depressants and anxiety tablets. But ever since I've turned 18 no one seems to be bother like hospital or doctors. Has anyone else had this problem? Because I really don't know what to do

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I'm a type 1 diabetic have been for most of my life. Been on anti depressants and anxiety tablets. But ever since I've turned 18 no one seems to be bother like hospital or doctors. Has anyone else had this problem? Because I really don't know what to do
I am lucky, because I have a good GP and diabetic educator. You have to shop around sometimes to get the best result.

I understand the emotional upheavals and depressive periods that this condition causes, God knows the number of individuals I have torn up during hypos and hypers! Don't accept 2nd best.

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Everyone needs a professional to talk to from time to time. Talk to your GP. Medication helps but is often not enough on it's own.

good luck

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Wingy1997 I can sympathise completely, I was struggling greatly at one point and didn't feel supported by the NHS at all, got pills but I didn't want them, I wanted counselling, but after waiting and getting no where I decided to look at alternatives out there, so took up exercise which is a great one for getting some free endorphins and meditation with a group that met once a week. By tackling it head on this way I started to feel a lot better. Even if you get out there walking that will help, just find somewhere green and in the country if you can and take some deep breaths of fresh air when you do, breathing helps to calm the mind too. I think I relied on the NHS to give me a magic wand and each time I went to my GP I felt let down and unsupported, have faith though that you will get better though ;)

Reactions: Sibyl and azure

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Wingy. Totally sympathise. Asked my endo for a recommendation. A week later she got back and said she'd retired. He put me onto someone else. But she was on maternity leave for another week. I'm still waiting.

In the meantime I saw someone else my GP recommended. Smart guy but he couldn't help me.

Eventually I realised on my own that my depression was linked with hypos, particularly prolonged lows while asleep. Through huge effort (including a CGM) I have almost totally eliminated lows. Slowly I am returning back to my old self.

BeMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Through huge effort (including a CGM) I have almost totally eliminated lows.
Would you, please, explain how you managed to reduce the number of hypos during sleep ? I have that problem and couldn't find a solution.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would you, please, explain how you managed to reduce the number of hypos during sleep ? I have that problem and couldn't find a solution.

I use a Dexcom CGM with xDrip (although you can now use the Dexcom app). My low threshold is about 5.5 because sometimes when my CGM says 5, my meter says 3.5.

If you find you go low on nights after exercise, I wouldn't recommend Lantus as it takes too long for a dosage change to take effect.

Normally I use a pump and slash my basal for the first 4 hours of sleep after exercise. However, I have also found Levemir + Metformin to be OK. (Metformin helps reduce the morning liver dump so it is easier to stay stable throughout the night.)

If you have any questions feel free to PM.

Reactions: BeMe