Mental note....dont eat pizza

welshd4n

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I moved to a pump about 12 months ago. Pizza was the most difficult meal to work out so I totally understand your comments. Aa mentioned in one of the earlier posts, it is the fat content in the cheese and base that causes the BS to rise sometimes up to 6 hrs later. The fat slows the insulin breaking down and how long it takes depends on the individual. For me it's normally 2 hours based on a normal day without training, stress, etc. with my pump I can split my dose into 2, 30% now and 70% 2 hours later. It works. It takes time to work out how your body reacts but testing, testing and testing again gives you a better idea. I've left a link to a website where it's explained a little better. Good luck
http://richthediabetic.com/the-great-di ... ntroversy/

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pizza is not all the same though! Domino's tends to be very thick and full of dough. I have the very occasional very thin Prezzo pizza, and leave the edges, and the readings after are fine.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This post saved my blood sugar today!
Mom and I were having a girly day out, and were trying to decide where to go for lunch. There were queues everywhere except Pizza Hut. I was almost tempted until I remembered reading Andy's experience.
Instead we toddled off to local garden centre and had a turkey dinner (sans potatoes and carrots on mine).

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make pizza for myself using long slices of Aubergine (eggplant) as the base- it works well!!

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
sending your wife best wishes hopes shes feeling better ... and no no no pizza hahaahahaha x

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Last week OH really fancied pizza so rather than make him go without or cook me something else, I indulged in 2 huge slices & my usual 6 chips. Before tea 4.6, 2 hrs later 7.5. 4 hrs later 5.5. Now if I actually liked pizza, on those figures I suspect I would eat it as a treat. If only I could get those figures for hot buttered toast lol.

Hope 2014 brings you all you want, & need

Smartie xx

Reactions: 2 people

mpe

I would join Andy and say DONT EAT BURGERS WITH CURLY FRIES which i did yesterday in my local pub. Stupid decision after sharing bottle of wine with my friend. It was delicious but my readings were shockingly bad :oops:

As with pizza it could be a case of there being enough fat to delay digestion so you might test too soon after eating and think things are fine. Even the burger itself could be a potential problem since it isn't always easy to tell if it is just meat.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope your wife is ok now? There's a recipe on here for cauliflower pizZa, it is gorgeous. Not quick though. X