Merformin again

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
About a year ago I was prescribed two 500 gram Metformin daily, but like many others I suffered with dreadful upset stomachs, I was scared to leave the house it was as if I had no control over my bowels .....sorry if that's a bit graphic....My doctor changed my medication to the Metformin slow release again two 500 gram daily and everything settled down, after six months on the slow release with no issues, the bowel problems have started again , it is exactly the same, which leads me to believe it's the tablets...is it likely that I would have the same side effects after so long Thank you for reading

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what will you do then ... as metformine seems to be the best medication... ?

deeparajan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
About a year ago I was prescribed two 500 gram Metformin daily, but like many others I suffered with dreadful upset stomachs, I was scared to leave the house it was as if I had no control over my bowels .....sorry if that's a bit graphic....My doctor changed my medication to the Metformin slow release again two 500 gram daily and everything settled down, after six months on the slow release with no issues, the bowel problems have started again , it is exactly the same, which leads me to believe it's the tablets...is it likely that I would have the same side effects after so long Thank you for reading

I hear you. Metformin did that to me. But now I have issues of a different kind! Constipation Woes!

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what will you do then ... as metformine seems to be the best medication... ?
I don't know what I would have to take if this is the tablets, the doctor would have to sort that one out, think I will have to pay her a visit and see what she says

Reactions: Freema

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
I don't know how metformin can be good I honestly feel like iv been dragged around a pitch

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel fine on metformine , only peed so much when starting them and still have to go to the loo twice every night , thats anoying

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think like all medication Metformin suit some people and do the job they are supposed to do, I'm thinking for me the side effects are too severe, I'm just very surprised they have been ok for 6 months

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has the brand of metformin changed? Sometimes pharmacists supply a different brand because it is cheaper or more available. Since different manufacturers use slightly different ingredients or formulations, which can affect reactions.

Reactions: Energize

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No the tablets are the same as I've been taking for a few months, funnily enough the new prescription I have started today are a different make, I had to check that they were metformin sr, I've had a very frustrating time trying to get a doctors appointment but not had any luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

PkBhoy84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms and Prawns
I've been using Metaformin for around 4-5 months along with insulin. So far I've had no issues. It sounds like I'm just lucky.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
ive been on them about 3 weeks now 2 a day should be up to 4 but decided to stick at 2 had the side affects then constipated for 3 days ive been ok now seems to have settled down i hope

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi chefdee, have you changed the timing of taking your tablets as I found the best results were when I took metformin actually with food, not before or after but actually with food ie after the first couple of mouthfuls, I know that sounds a bit odd but it did help me and I thought that possibly you may have changed your routine of when you take your meds and that it may have had the effect you describe.

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw doc today and she thought that some stress and acid stomach problems could affect the absorption metformin sr, I am now taking other medications to deal with stress and acid so she's hoping everything will settle. I am also now taking metformin while I eat, so hoping things will settle again

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App