1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

merformin and vitamin deficiecy

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by swarnag, Jul 21, 2016.

1. swarnag

swarnag Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been on metformin for about 14years. Started with 500mg twice a day. but had been taking 1000mg twice a day this too for about more than 10years. I am worried about vitamin deficiencies associated with that. I am on LCHF now for about 10 months. I get very tired . I have read Long term use of metformin can cause low Vit. B12 and D . All the advice welcome.

2. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My doctor just said take sublingual B-12. It is cheap and readily available as is vitamin D3. If you are worried about it get some. Your doctor can also test your levels.

3. dog-man

dog-man Type 2 · Member

I take various vitamins and supplements.
    When I get the results of my blood tests, my diabetic nurse always comments on how high my vitamin levels are for a diabetic.

4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I take Vit D and B12, and I am not on metformin.

Had myself tested for Vit D, so I knew I was already deficient and needed it, also read up on B12, so know you can't overdose.

There is no need to be worried about it. Just do a bit of reading, weigh the risks, and supplement if you feel it is appropriate. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Other · Well-Known Member

I think there is a general recommendation for diabetics to also consider supplementing Zinc and Magnesium minerals, since we tend to flush these. Also consider extra salt when on a low carb diet,, especially in the early startup phase.

Vit D3 should also be accompanied by Vit K2, I believe. Most supplements OTC should already have both, but check - I found the Asda ones did not, but they have changed brand since.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook