Type 1 Metabolic Syndrome

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
I went to a doctor for a medical. At the end of it he stated that I had metabolic syndrome. During 57 years with type 1 this had never been mentioned to me. I also thought that metabolic syndrome referred to those with type 2. I looked it up and discovered that type 1 s can also have metabolic syndrome so looked at indicators for this disorder which were:
My waist is not large. I do not, & never have had high levels of triglycerides. Not sure about the third. Blood pressure is normal. My fasting (use 1st morning blood test as indicator) glucose levels are usually between 4--7.

Apparently I need to have positive answers to 3 out of the five of the above indicators, which I haven't, to qualify for this disorder. Where did this doctor get the idea that I had metabolic syndrome?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently I need to have positive answers to 3 out of the five of the above indicators, which I haven't, to qualify for this disorder. Where did this doctor get the idea that I had metabolic syndrome?

No idea, but you are right. Mind you, when I was diagnosed as T2 I only had a less than perfect waist circumference. The rest of the markers were perfect.

Reactions: dbr10

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very strange diagnosis. Did you see a real doctor???
You can get 'double diabetes' in which you become insulin resistant but this would normally show up with weight gain around the middle and ever increasing doses of insulin which doesn't sound like you!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I mean someone with a medical degree as the original postee's diagnosis seemed a bit off. More sarcasm = less wit. I do not think too much of doctors.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I thought metabolic syndrome was BMI as OVERWEIGHT
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
HIGH CHOLESTEROL

See how things change in medicine
..... Well any science based fact.
Also once you have metabolic syndrome that is never put on your notes as reversed, in some cases either.
Once overweight it takes some convincing to have these markers ignored on your medical file.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ivor Cummins has given some talks on this.
At least, he mentions Metabolic Syndrome in several of his talks ;)
His basic argument is that the various symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome are all caused by hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance, which is (of course) widely found in T2s, but if insulin resistance occurs in a T1, then they are on their way to Metabolic Syndrome and'double diabetes' too.

I am afraid I cannot remember which of his talks on youtube covers the subject in most detail, but if you watch the one on heart disease, I know the subject is mentioned.

Of course, only you can know whether you experience insulin resistance at all. :)

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Very strange diagnosis. Did you see a real doctor???
You can get 'double diabetes' in which you become insulin resistant but this would normally show up with weight gain around the middle and ever increasing doses of insulin which doesn't sound like you!
Not insulin resistant. Have had type 1 for 57 years. In the late 1970s I developed antibodies to beef insulin (common with animal insulin after 20 or so years) and lost a ton of weight. Have been on pork insulin for 2 years and the same thing happened recently. This isn't metabolic per se but an autoimmune disorder. Chap was a real doctor but maybe thought I didn't know what I was talking about and, because of my age, believed that I must be type 2.......Only things I can think of...