Metallic taste in the mouth?

jaykay

I'm sure I've read about this being a symptom of diabetes, having a metallic taste in your mouth but have never experienced it until yesterday. We've been in Holland for a few days and I found it tough to low carb there-very few veggies and bread and chips with EVERYTHING. Since yesterday I've had a nasty taste in my mouth and I wondered if this is due to my carbs ( and blood sugar ) going a bit higher than usual. If anyone else has suffered this, will it go away when I'm back to my low carb diet, or is there another way of getting rid of it. I don't like it! :(

jaideeh

Dislikes
banana's, lots of coursework, mean people +storms
Hi, a bit of a late reply here; and you probably have this already sorted!
but I'm doing Child Care at college and we've recently been doing pregnancy and one of the signs of pregnancy is a metallic taste in your mouth?
i always thought that a sign of diabetes was your breath smelling of pear drops
i'd like to know if anything come of this? :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Only time I've had a metallic taste in my mouth is when I've had a chest infection :|

Kathleen Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
when i was first diagnosed last year i had a horrid taste in my mouth that affected the way food tasted. it was a sort of peardrops taste. i think it is acedosis that causes it - but don't quote me.

southerly

I too sometimes used to have a metallic taste in my mouth, this was however before I found out that I was type 2, I put it down to an allergy, as my face used to swell up too, but there again since it has been under control, I dont seem to have a problem. It would seem that the endocrine system is very complicated and different things affect people in different ways. Doctors well some think that they know an awful lot but medicine is an art and a science.
regards

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
Jaykay
i experiance this when my blood level rises very high (say over 20) which is not often but on the odd occassion where i have accidently forgot to do my night-time injection. this will raise my blood through the night and i notice the metallic taste that you mention early morning. as soon as levels are under control (say within 2 hours) the bad taste dissapears