Type 2 Meter averages

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

Been using my meter 10-15 times a day now starting to slow down now but got a bit obsessed with it. Its a no code meter and when i look at the averages it says that mine is 8.6 which I believe is hb1ac of 56. Has anyone had checked there averages against a proper blood hb1ac test. Should I believe the averages or am I likely to be higher or lower than the meter says.

Thanks

D

Deleted Account

Unless you are taking readings throughout the day AND night, you are unlikely to get a good average over the period your Hb1AC is measured.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If a meter average correctly estimates an HbA1c, it is a lucky coincidence.

The HbA1c is an average over 2 to 3 months of your glucose levels 24/7. Your meter averages can never catch your levels between tests. You may see 7.8 at 2 hours post meal - but was that on the way up, on the way down from a much higher number, or were you 7.8 for several hours? You can't possibly know.

My advice is to stop worrying about HbA1c results and concentrate on getting your meter averages down from 8.6.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Philb69 ..
You might find the details of this HbA1c to blood sugar converter helpful. As others have said above, it's pretty useless for a single blood sugar reading but what I did was to keep all my readings (3 to 5 a day - fasting, pre-meal and post-meal) on a spreadsheet each month .. then averaged each category for each month .. then averaged the averages over a three month period .. then put this figure into the converter. I have done this twice now in late June and late August, just before my 3-monthly reviews and the results were ..
June .. HbA1c calculated - 41 : actual - 40
Aug .. HbA1c calculated - 35 : actual - 34

Having said that, I agree with @Bluetit1802 that you should focus on bringing your blood sugar levels down and with @No2D that your diet and lifestyle is more important than chasing numbers.

Hope this helps

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all thanks for the replies i will keep trying. I thought 8.6 was not too bad? I am not trying to be a none diabetic but just trying to stay afloat. I know it may take years of practice but i am new.

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An average of 8.6 is likely to mean you are spiking too high after meals, and these spikes may be causing you damage. The NICE recommendations for T2s is an HbA1c of 48 or less (this has been reduced from 53 during my time as a diabetic). NICE blood sugar level recommendations are known for their generosity, so 48 is probably generous. 48 is an average of 7.7mmol/l.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I consider (for the time being, anyway) that HbbA1c and daily readings to be two different entities. I made a lot of mistakes in the first few weeks after dx while learning about the food carb counts so at the moment I concentrate on getting into the habit of checking and recording everything. It is becoming easier but I still have wobbles and so I still need to work on discipline and learning the ropes.
Later, when my HbA1c approaches acceptable levels I will be able to go deeper into the cause and effect of carbs on the body but for now I am putting all my efforts into reducing the amount of carbs I ingest, everything else can wait.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently putting my readings into the MySugr app. Once you have put in sufficient readings it gives an estimated HbA1c. I have my review in a couple of weeks, it'll be interesting to see how accurate it is.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do the same as AM1874. I will do comprehensive testing, Fasting, pre and post prandial and before bed. I downloaded a HbA1c converter off the net, it is in spreadsheet form and as you add your readings it calculates your expected HbA1c result. It has always been accurate but the key is making sure you take your readings throughout the day otherwise there's no point.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox it will be interesting to see how accurate the MySugr app is, please let us know.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
I will! I usually test the same times as you, though getting up later during the summer holidays my fasting and pre-breakfast have become one! That still makes 7 readings a day instead of 8.