Meter discrepancies, which one?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting @Bluetit1802 and @Rachox

I got the Caresens Dual this week - to test for ketones rather than BG, but it did come with 10 free strips so I’m doing some limited comparisons. Tuesday evening post dinner Codefree was 5.3 and Caresens was 5.1 so no difference.

This morning Codefree was 5.3 and Caresens was 6.2.
That’s exactly what I do t like. That would require different insulin doses

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Regarding SD Codefree - there is a comparative assessment of SD Codefree, which was published in Sep 2017 in BMC Research Notes.

The researchers in Ghana took 100 diabetic patients and 50 non diabetic patients and simultaneously measured their blood glucose concentration using SD Codefree (finger prick blood) and reference auto analyzer BT-3000 (venous blood). The conclusion was that SD Codefree is fairly accurate in the whole operational range. The complete article can be found here.

Looking at the article's results and based on my current one week experience with SD Codefree, it looks that the measured values are slightly and consistently elevated but it should be possible to "calibrate" it for myself - if I had some reference values - how to get them? The trends - highs/lows, increases/decreases - are probably tracked accurately, I don't get too many outliers.

Based what I have read here and on other forums, SD Biosensor had in past for some time problems with QA and some batches of test strips had issues, but it looks that they have finally tuned their manufacturing process and results are overall consistent.

The price of measurement strips is really good.

What is your current experience?
That’s what I’m trying to figure out right now. How to calibrate it for myself. And set a personal target number. I think my old meter is low and the new high. So I’m going to keep trending both for 50 strips and analyze it. I don’t want to hypo but I don’t want to be running high either so far it appears and average of 13 point difference. But some are very close and some are way off. As much as 26 ( US) points

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s exactly what I do t like. That would require different insulin doses

You are just going to have to use your meter and suck it and see. I don't see you have a choice unless you go for a CGM or Freestyle Libre (and they need comparison testing too, or at least the Libre does) I know it is awful not trusting your meter. I know how I felt when using the Codefree, and of course it is far more important for insulin users.

Have you thought of asking the other insulin users which meters they trust?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You are just going to have to use your meter and suck it and see. I don't see you have a choice unless you go for a CGM or Freestyle Libre (and they need comparison testing too, or at least the Libre does) I know it is awful not trusting your meter. I know how I felt when using the Codefree, and of course it is far more important for insulin users.

Have you thought of asking the other insulin users which meters they trust?
I have asked. And even my doc. Was told they’re all similar haha. Great answer.
I am going to suck it up when the time comes. I just don’t want to go in blind.
I researched your meter and strips are ridiculous. I researched a ton and had to make a decision based on reviews and strip prices. The thing that rests my mind a little is my small doses. I can only go so low.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree, there are inconsistencies. Hadn’t thought of contacting Home Health. Would be interested to hear how you get on @Rachox
@Rachox @Goonergal

I had a whole batch of 10 boxes replaced for free, but in return they wanted me to do some comparison tests between the bad ones and some from other batches that they sent me, and at the same time Mr. Home Health also did some comparisons on himself. (He isn't diabetic!!!!!) He said he had no diabetics working in the office with him so had to be the guinea pig.. He was very approachable and very concerned about quality. He also contacted the manufacturers in Korea and asked them to do proper standard testing on them comparing results with other brands of meters.
I’ve had to email them, as I’ve lost my voice! :eek::confused:
I’ve sent my little graph. I’ll let you know what they say.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Abbott will send a test solution for my Freestyle Freedom Lite to check the accuracy.

Don't know if any other manufacturers do it.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember if you using your meter for before and after meal testing to learn what food you can eat, you only need it to be "repeatable", you don't need it give the "correct" reading.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember if you using your meter for before and after meal testing to learn what food you can eat, you only need it to be "repeatable", you don't need it give the "correct" reading.
Um, no. I’m type 1 and know all my meals. I still need to test before to figure out my dose.
So I base my insulin on my meter results. And of course my food but that’s very consistent day to day