Meter irregularities

RTD

Hi all, I was diagnosed type 2 November 5th and brought a BG meter last week and received a free one yesterday.
I decided to compare them and the readings are different by about 3 mmol/L.
I paid for a standard Gluco Navin GDH and got a free TEE 2+.
Yesterday I tested on same hand different fingers within 5 minutes using new lancets both times.

Gluco Navin: 9.1. TEE2 12.5.
Just done same test today:
Gluco Navin: 14.0 TEE2:17.7
I've used a check strip which I got with the Gluco meter and it says OK. I've ordered control solutions for both meters.
Are one of my meters broken or not accurate. Grateful for any help.
RTD.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The official standards for meter accuracy aren't that high, I'm afraid. Both your meters probably satisfy the FDA accuracy requirements (just the ones that came up in google, but other countries have similar standards).

Interesting article here

How accurate are Glucose Meters? - Diabetes Education Services

As a T1, who injects insulin based on her bg levels, I'm not overly happy about it (the New Zealand state funded meter isn't very accurate) but if you are self funding then maybe google glucose accuracy statistics and pick one with affordable strips that is relatively accurate.

But honestly, both 10 and 12 are too high so it may not matter which one is nearer to your actual bg level. Usually, if you stick to one meter, you can compare results reasonably well. By the time you get within normal range (4 to 8) a 10% error isn't that much...

But I find the biggest discrepancies are caused by contaminants on my hands....

Good luck and happy testing.

Reactions: RTD

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Tee2+ consistently reads higher than my GlucoRx-Q. Typically anything between 1 and 2 mmol/l. My Rx-Q ranges are generally low 6's to mid 7's - I never see more than an 8.5 unless I've been very naughty carbs-wise or sample less than 2 hours after eating, yet I've had a 9.9 out of the Tee2+. That's parallel testing from the same blood sample, and alternating between testing first with one then the other, in case reading with one could skew the result of the other.

The figures I'm getting from the GlucoRx-Q are more consistent with my latest HbA1c result, so I'm inclined to trust it more. It's a shame, because the Tee2+ has better functionality in most respects, better reporting software, and cheaper test strips. I tested the Tee2+ with both test solutions and it landed pretty much in the middle of the range for both. I've tested the Rx-Q previously, and it did much the same.

+/- 15% allowable error 98% of the time, these things are basically random number generators roughly centred on your blood glucose. A level of 6.0 can legitimately read as anywhere between 5.1 and 6.9. And those are massive differences in blood sugar control.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I was diagnosed type 2 November 5th and brought a BG meter last week and received a free one yesterday.
I decided to compare them and the readings are different by about 3 mmol/L.
I paid for a standard Gluco Navin GDH and got a free TEE 2+.
Yesterday I tested on same hand different fingers within 5 minutes using new lancets both times.

Gluco Navin: 9.1. TEE2 12.5.
Just done same test today:
Gluco Navin: 14.0 TEE2:17.7
I've used a check strip which I got with the Gluco meter and it says OK. I've ordered control solutions for both meters.
Are one of my meters broken or not accurate. Grateful for any help.
RTD.
Try both meters from the same drop of blood if you can. However, whatever the true reading is, both meters are telling you your blood sugar is too high so are still useful.