meter readings

bedshaped2000

i thought id do a random test to one of the foods i eat on a regular basis and was horrified but not sure if i should be. i had 1 slice of burgen bread tosted with 4 slices of bernard mathews turkey and ham. i can normally handle this easy did a check and i was 8.2 ? i did accidentally test after 40 mins of eating not the 1 hr mark. i have come down to 6.3 after 1 hour. is this a spike i wouldnt of known about or do i not need to worry because everyone shoots high within a hour

AMBrennan

Depends on whom you ask - there are those that believe that any readings >5.0 mmol/l are suicidally high (yeah, Bernstein again :roll: ); common consensus, however, is that 1h/2h pp readings are what matters, and your are very good indeed.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In one study of 21 people without diabetes, using a continuous monitor, the average peak level after breakfast was 132.3mg/dl( 7.3mmol/l). This was reached at an average 46min after eating. (obviously thats an average and some people reached levels on some days reaching above 160mg/dl(8.8mol/l)
http://diabetes-symposium.org/index.php ... =49&id=322

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
bedshaped2000

I think that it would be perfectly normal to go up to 8.2 after Burgen bread (12gcarbs). 6.3 after the full hour shows things are very good.Check again after 2 hours.You say you are diet only - Brilliant ! Repeat the experiment and 1hr then 2 hrs.

Superchip

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
bedshaped2000 Sorted ! I wish I had your readings on diet alone !

Superchip

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
AMBrennan said:
In one study of 21 people without diabetes
Interesting, but not really relevant to the question at hand - is a 8.2 mmol/l peak at 45min harmful?

Absolutely relevant AMB as it shows that even non diabetics regularly hit 7's and 8's after eating carbs, and theres absolutely nothing wrong with it. It is the two hour postprandial levels that are important as they will show how quickly your levels are returning to normal.

Superchip

Dislikes
Cheap Whisky !
No AMbrennan, it's the rate at which your body deals with the glucose and how the reading comes down over 1-2 hours.

Superchip

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
AMBrennan said:
In one study of 21 people without diabetes
Interesting, but not really relevant to the question at hand - is a 8.2 mmol/l peak at 45min harmful?

Well I would have thought if it was within norms for non diabetics then it is unlikely to be harmful.