Meter Readings

colinrim

I was diagnosed type 2 a few years ago and to be honest I haven't done as much as I can towards alleviating the illness.
After buying a test meter I have been taking irregular readings but mainly 1st thing in the morning and before and after eating to see how certain foods affected me.
This morning I took a reading of 11.7 before eating drinking anything, an hour and a half after a bowl of greek yoghurt with a small amount of Asda mixed fruit and nuts it is reading 17.8.
It always reads double figures (apart from the odd occasion).
I am not sure whether to be worried about the high readings (nd I am guessing that the high reading today was due to the fruit in the breakfast).....
What readings should I be aiming towards?
Any help would be gratefully received.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Those readings seem quite high to be honest. I'd set an initial target of single figures. You may need to reduce carbs more or increase exercise. Ideally, target range should be between 5 and. 7ish. Good luck. !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some diabetics find that particular foods lead to huge sugar spikes. In this case testing regularly can be useful in determining which foods to avoid.

In your case it appears your sugars are quite high ALL the time. I would suspect that what you eat is NOT the main problem. Maybe you should look into losing weight, becoming more active, or changing your medication. I would really recommend seeing a doctor.

An HbA1c test is the true test of your diabetes management. It tells you your average sugar level over the last couple of months. The glucose meter is for "fine tuning", the HbA1c tells you how you are going overall.

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
Just been told I'm a Type 2 (well a month ago) so I've only been tested twice through a blood sample. My first was 18.2 and my second after a fasting period was 11.8.I'm not on medication yet and for the next few months I've been put on a diet and told to get down to at least 14 stone for my height.Looking at online data mine are high.Still learning what I should be.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sugartoohigh said:
Just been told I'm a Type 2 (well a month ago) so I've only been tested twice through a blood sample. My first was 18.2 and my second after a fasting period was 11.8.I'm not on medication yet and for the next few months I've been put on a diet and told to get down to at least 14 stone for my height.Looking at online data mine are high.Still learning what I should be.

I'm only a few weeks into it but, if it helps, I'm finding that my BG meter is a very good friend, helping me to work out what's going on after eating, exercise, etc. I'm also using the mySugr app on my i-Phone to keep track of the readings I'm taking.

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
Thanks for the heads up on apps 2131tom :)

colinrim

Thanks for all your comments.

I guess I should be dieting and exercising but really finding it a struggle! :oops:

Giving up smoking was easy compared to giving up food!

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
colinrim said:
Thanks for all your comments.

I guess I should be dieting and exercising but really finding it a struggle! :oops:

Giving up smoking was easy compared to giving up food!

Yes, you're spot on, Colin, the cigarettes were a lot easier to quit.

Mind you, I am finding 2013 a bit of a bummer. After quite a few false starts, I went cold turkey and gave up the fags in early May, in order to be healthier (totally off them still, but from experience early days ...), only to be diagnosed T2 in October.

Of course I blame the smoking. If I hadn't put on that weight on after giving-up ........... :wink: