Metformin alternatives

masueuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Until I got Long Covid last year, I managed my type 2 with diet only but it went haywire. I was put on Metformin, initially 2 then 3 per day (two in evening, one in morning) but the diarrhoea became impossible to live with, including accidents whilst awake. That prompted my GP to suggest coming off it to see if the gastric side effects improve. I had my last dose on Friday evening, by Monday there was no 6 or 7 visits to the loo. I've also noticed my vision has improved a bit. I was putting the blurry vision increase down to Long Covid but seems not. My blood sugar was in the mid 5s to mid 6s on Metformin but was 7.2 this morning. I've been increasing walking as much as I can alongside Long Covid. I am also in the process of my partner of 20 years leaving me as he now wants something from a relationship that I cant ever be, so stress levels are through the roof. Brain fog caused by Long Covid is restricting my normally good research skills so if someone could point me to an idiots guide of the pros and cons of different diabetes medications, that would be great. I know we are all different, so what works for one, might not be suitable for others. My GP is lovely but struggling with post covid brain fog to a lesser extent, so giving him a summary would be helpful.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @masueuk I‘m sorry to hear of your stressful situation :( I wonder why your GP has put you on such a high dose of Metformin, your BG readings look good to me, perhaps you could ask him/her what the reasoning is?
It must be so distressing having to go to the loo several times a day as well as everything else you’re having to deal with. Have you tried slow release metformin? I had a little bit of tummy ache starting this but it’s stopped after a couple of weeks and no symptoms now. Sending hugs

edit: sorry just read your post again and you say you’ve stopped metformin. What do you usually eat in a typical day, could you reduce your carbs to help keep your BGs lower?

Reactions: andrewk75

masueuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat very little carbs. Yoghurt with 3 brambles, 4 walnuts for breakfast. No lunch. Supper is usually home made vegetable soup then more yoghurt. I became so nauseous with long Covid. I've lost around 30 pounds since September when my partner announced he wanted someone with different appendages to mine. I went onto XR Metformin with no benefits.

LonelyFatGuy

I've been on 100mg Sitagliptin for about 3 weeks now, and I've witnessed a 66% reduction in the blood glucose increase I would normally see 2 hours after eating my breakfast. (this started to happen after only a few days on the drug)

That's a very impressive drop in my opinion, much to my surprise.

Spent 3 years or so on Metformin alone before they decided to offer me Sitagliptin though.

masueuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on 100mg Sitagliptin for about 3 weeks now, and I've witnessed a 66% reduction in the blood glucose increase I would normally see 2 hours after eating my breakfast. (this started to happen after only a few days on the drug)

That's a very impressive drop in my opinion, much to my surprise.

Spent 3 years or so on Metformin alone before they decided to offer me Sitagliptin though.
Thanks, thats helpful. I'll check it out !