1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

metformin and alcohol

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by Buttons11, Mar 29, 2017.

1. kevkevkev

kevkevkev Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been on metformin for over 3 years and have at least 1 night out a week and also have a lads day out (all day and night drinking) at least twice a year in blackpool and i'm still here and and healthier now than i was 3 years ago. I gave up lots when diagnosed, wasn't willing to give up my social life too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As far as I know you are drinking in moderation if you are drinking less than your GP.:happy:

Oh, and
    Apart from the (unusual?) sleepiness after a few drinks I don't seem to have the other symptoms.
    As others have noted, the notes with medication are mainly arse covering by the drug companies.

As ever, drink to your meter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steve978

Steve978 Type 2 · Member

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and find it great that I am not on my own anymore.I have type2 diabetes and take 2 metformin tablets 500 mg twice daily, The doctor stated that a few beers would not harm me at all and I try and stick to that. Statins I've stopped taking them again due to the side effects which are muscle and joint pains I will see the doctor again soon and he will prescribe me with a different type of statin again not sure how many types of statins there are.

4. Cook1e

Cook1e Type 2 · Newbie

I specifically asked the question at the Diabetis Clinic yesterday having been recently diagnosed and started on Metaformin a couple of weeks ago. I was told that as long as I stick to the guidelines (14 units per week, drinking spread over 3 or more days with non alcohol days etc) then drinking alcohol is not a problem with the Metaformin. I had just been quizzed on how much I drink and I had already reduced my intake about 18 months ago anyway and am averaging under 12 units a week now anyway and gone are the days when I'd knock back 5 or 6 pints in an evening like I used too before I reduced my input!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I'll drink to that one mate. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

With my luck I am sure that I would have every side effect ever considered possible.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook