Metformin and B12 deficiency

Hotpepper20000

I have had half the initial treatment, and actually am surprised at how rough I actually did feel (without realising it and putting it down to other things). I still get some tiredness though
It’s surprising isn’t?
I know I didn’t realized how awful I was feeling until the combination of low carb and B12 treatment started helping me.
I thought I just was getting old. Lol (40) I feel better then I did in my 30s
I’m glad you are getting some relief

henaddict

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been diagnosed with vitamin B12 deficiency and having a nose online I note it can be an effect of Metformin use, and getting older along with a few others. It was discovered while I had tests at the hospital. I now have to have 3 injections for two weeks then one every three months for life. I am aware it is fairly common (more in women apparently). I'd be interested to hear from others in a similar situation...
There is a glimmer of hope. I was diagnosed with B12 deficiency when I was on Metformin. I felt terrible and the injections I found didn't quite make up for the lack of B12. 2.5 years ago I decided to go on the LCHF diet and try and reverse my type 2 diabetes as I had read that others had done. Six months later my HbA1C was "normal" so the GP took me off the Metformin and only after my paying to see an endocrinologist who agreed that I needed some gliclazide did she put me on that, on which I have remained and maintained a "normal" HBa1C. What I am happy to report is that when I came off Metformin my own B12 got absorbed again and my levels of B12 are fine (I've been tested since)! I'm still on the LCHF diet to maintain this. Hope this helps.

BarryBT

Hi I’ve been on metformin 4 x 500 mg daily for many years. Never heard of B12 deficiency.
Recently my BG was 28 and my Hbaic was 137 .
4 months ago I started a low carb diet and gliclazide 2 x 80mg daily.
My Hbaic is now 53 and BG averages
Wonder if I could stop taking Metformin now?

rachaelc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is interesting as I've been on metformin around 20yrs and recently on Sukarto (see another thread), so I will investigate this. My point however, is to do with a friend's husband (mid 70s) who is diabetic but not on tablets. For about 5yrs he has been developing dementia and deteriorating with confusion, short-term memory loss and balance problems. His wife no longer felt he was safe to be left alone at home, and had already had to stop him driving. They live in Holland. Recent tests showed that it was in fact B12 deficiency, not dementia. Since then his condition has greatly improved and his old personality returned. I had no idea that B12 could cause such symptoms.

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
I had been on Metformin for several years and started to feel VERY tired, could hardly put one foot in front of another, no energy etc. I was told I had a B12 deficiency and had a course of injections, they weren't very painful and I wasn't told I would need to be on them for life and after that course, about three years ago I haven't had to have any more since. As well as Metformin I was on insulin and decided I would try stopping the Metformin and my very poor appetite that I had been experiencing for many years disappeared overnight - I actually had hunger pains! As Metformin is an appetite suppressant and I am not and never have been overweight, more underweight actually, I asked my diabetes nurse if I could try leaving them off for longer and stopping them made absolutely no difference to my sugar levels. Metformin is known to cause B12 deficiency but do they tell you this when you are put on them - no. I am still on insulin and am managing my sugar levels with very low doses which shows that the Metformin didn't seem to make much difference to me.

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Arsenal79! The only major symptom I had/have is exhaustion and a few headaches.

I have had nerve pain but not through this illness, rather some years ago. I was put on a low dose of the anti-depressant Amytriptiline, which worked wonders for me. I have tried to come of it twice in the past but the pain has come back on both occasions.

I wonder, could you ask to see another doctor for a second opinion regarding your nerve pain? I guess it could be a few medical things but Vitamin B12 deficiency is marked (in the long term) by nerve pain (which is why it is important to treat it). You also get some heart pounding (although I haven't had this, just a few pains in the chest). I
Sorry for the late reply I'm in the same boat has you nerve pain headaches put I've also got stomach problems but I have had my hba1c and b12 vitamins checked and my hba1c is 42 pre diabetic range and my b12 was fine I think has soon has you getting the b12 injections you should start to feel a lot better I wish you all the best

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
3 years or so ago, being overweight, probably pre-diabetic and lethargic I came across some lectures by researchers Jeff Volek PhD, RD and Stephen Phinny MD, PhD on you tube. They were extolling the virtues of a low carbohydrate diet. Very low, it varies from person to person but approximately 30grams per day. 1 slice of white bread is about 15 grams so really almost no carbs at all, well no carbs that cause an insulin reaction but you can eat quite a bit of the carbs that hardly cause any insulin reaction like broccoli and cauliflower and lots of others and salads of course. It's the root veg thats usually high in sugar, like carrots, so go very easy on those and absolutely no potatoes, pasta, rice and the hardest of all no bread. You would have to do a bit of trial and error testing of your blood sugar after meals and work with your doctor, explain the diet to him if he doesn't know about it, some do. If you manage to keep off the carbs (we're all addicted to them) you may start to see improvements in your blood sugar very quickly and there is a danger that your usual insulin dose may be too high so as I said, you need to be monitoring your blood sugar after each meal and working closely with your doctor. They and other qualified doctors and researchers explain low carbohydrate living very well, Jeff Volek especially goes into great detail about how much more efficient and anti-inflamatory our energy producing cycle is when on a low carb diet. They all say that type 2 diabetes is totally reversible and that the lives of type 1 diabetics can be manage more easily. I am 65 years young in January and since starting this life style I have been reinvigorated, in fact I would like to stress caution, if like me, a month or so into the diet you'r full of energy and suddenly get the urge to run beware there maybe parts of your body that are not up to the task. Unfortunately over a period of months running up and down some hills where I live I got tendonitis on one heel which meant no running or long walks. I was restricted to an exercise bike which was very frustrating, especially as I felt great. After 12 months of that I felt I could start running again but shortly after starting back up the other tendon began to be painful and so now I don't run on a regular basis I just walk quickly and do the occassional burst when I can't help myself. This website advocates a low carbohydrate lifestyle, check out the meal plans etc and the lectures on youtube, get the books, find out all you can then get your doctor on board and go for it. I am not a doctor of any sort and I am very lucky in that I have not and do not suffer from any diseases or illnesses nor have I ever smoked. I have always enjoyed the outdoors and tried to eat healthily but I always liked animal fat and would sometimes eat more than I thought was good for me and now scientist and researchers are saying it's not the fat that makes us fat it's the carbs so that's good news. I'm probably preaching to the wrong crowd here, you may already know this stuff but I feel obliged to put it out there incase someone doesn't know that type 2 diabetes is totally reversible with a whole lot of commitment and no going back. I sometimes have a carb night but when I do Feel bloated and tired and wonder why I do it, they are getting less and less. Altogether I lost about 22lbs or 10kgs without being hungry.

Reactions: Arsenal79