Metformin and back pain?

DisneyGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negative people and negative outlooks.
Diabetes lol
I'm on the last few days of taking 1 500mg tablet every evening, moving onto 2 pills per day.

I've started experiencing a burning lower back pain, my kidney function upon diagnosis 3 weeks ago was fine.

Is it related to metformin?

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
I am on 1000 mg of metformin in the morning and 1000 mg at tea time and have quite uncomfortable lower back pain which has lasted for quite some years and I also have quite serious autism and depression and anxiety. My diet is very rigid due to my autism and I am frightened to take exercises because of pain from my sciatica in my legs. My kidney function is good too in spite of a very uncomfortable ache in my right hand side. Due to my depression I self neglect very badly and live a very solitary sedentary lifestyle. I have also been quit from smoking cigarettes since the start of the coronavirud pandemic. I am becoming very dependent on my NRT mouth sprays and this could be making my anxiety and stress levels much worse and could be reacting with my diabetes.

Pete_

I'm on the last few days of taking 1 500mg tablet every evening, moving onto 2 pills per day.

I've started experiencing a burning lower back pain, my kidney function upon diagnosis 3 weeks ago was fine.

Is it related to metformin?
Hi,
I don't know if you are aware that, certain types of Metformin ER are being recalled, due to problems with certain chemicals in the pills that affect kidney function. The US FDA website is worth a peek and further discussion with your GP when you next see them. I'd post a link but I only joined 20 minutes ago and am still learning how to do this...P

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I don't know if you are aware that, certain types of Metformin ER are being recalled, due to problems with certain chemicals in the pills that affect kidney function. The US FDA website is worth a peek and further discussion with your GP when you next see them. I'd post a link but I only joined 20 minutes ago and am still learning how to do this...P
I don’t believe there are any recalls in the UK. Unless you have a pointer to this impacting the UK then this wouldn’t be relevant in this instance

Metformin does seem to have back pain as a potential side effect from a quick browse but that said, @DisneyGuy you should definitely speak to your doctor about it. We can’t diagnose on the forums and personally, I would speak to them.

Pete_

I don’t believe there are any recalls in the UK. Unless you have a pointer to this impacting the UK then this wouldn’t be relevant in this instance

Metformin does seem to have back pain as a potential side effect from a quick browse but that said, @DisneyGuy you should definitely speak to your doctor about it. We can’t diagnose on the forums and personally, I would speak to them.
I echo your comment about speaking to a Doctor about any problems you have.
I can fix computers but am useless at brain surgery.

Fair comment but Thalidomide was safe in this country until others became aware of the side effects.
Are you aware of lactic acidosis in all types of Metformin?
Nothing mentioned or found searching the NHS...
I would like to post links to other sites but this won't let me...P