Metformin and eyesight

Clemm

I've been on Metformin for 2 weeks now and my vision had become very blurry over the past few days. Is this normal? Will it subside??

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Not much information about you BUT Metformin is highly unlikely to have that effect

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your vision will change as your levels come down. If you need specs, get the cheap off the shelf ones.

Are you lowering your carbs?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did some thing similar! If you have your old frames and lenses, hang on to them.

Reactions: Clemm

Lilylala

I was the same when I first got diagnosed .I to had just got my new glasses and could not see very well as my eyes were adjusting to my sugers coming down .I did go back to Specsavers where I got them from and had a re- test done and got a new prescription free of charge .May be worth you asking where you got yours if their policy is if there's any problems within 3 months you can change.

Clemm

I was the same when I first got diagnosed .I to had just got my new glasses and could not see very well as my eyes were adjusting to my sugers coming down .I did go back to Specsavers where I got them from and had a re- test done and got a new prescription free of charge .May be worth you asking where you got yours if their policy is if there's any problems within 3 months you can change.

Thank you I will

Clemm

How long did you leave it before your re test?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It takes different times for everyone. For me it was several months.

Clemm

Just wanted to thank you for your advice. I contacted Vision Express and they'll re test in a couple of months with no charge for new prescription. I'd never have thought of this if you hadn't mentioned it so thank you so very much!!

Reactions: Antje77

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found that I went from middle-aged long sight to short sight overnight just before diagnosis , and went through every pair of specs I possessed plus some off-the-shelf readers, before everything settled down 4 or 5 weeks later. I’m now back in the specs which were my current prescription up to the point of diagnosis, so hang on to what you have, you may be back in them shortly! I even had to stop driving for a week or so when the blurriness was at its worst!

mouseee

The bluriness is because of all the extra sugar that's been whizzing round your body. Now, as your sugar comes down your brain needs to adjust the adjustments it had made to cope with the changes from glucose.

It took about 6 weeks from my diagnosis and diet change to become clear again. I'd made an opticians appt just before diagnosis as they'd got so bad. Cancelled that one!

Lilylala

Just wanted to thank you for your advice. I contacted Vision Express and they'll re test in a couple of months with no charge for new prescription. I'd never have thought of this if you hadn't mentioned it so thank you so very much!!
Your very welcome xxx I did go back 6 weeks later for re-test and there was a great change in my prescription .It was good that I could do this for free as the cost of glasses are very expensive.I do have old pairs that I still use as my eyes do fluctuate and find different days I need my stronger ones.