JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is another issue people seem to be unaware of, which is that the body cannot utilise B12 in its normal, water soluble, form, but must first metabolise it to a lipid soluble form which can be absorbed by the tissues.

In some people, this conversion doesn't work so well, so even if your levels of B12 are measured as "normal", it may be that you can't actually use it.

I think I have this problem so I take my B12 as its methyl form (Aka Methyl Cobolamine) and, in conjunction with alpha Lipoic Acid I find it helps with my Neuropathy problems, and also with my FBG levels.

I'm type 2, diagnosed July 2014 and taking 3 x 500mg Metformin daily. I was taking 4, but after adding the supplements I found 3 to work fine. Going down to 2 though seemed to be sending them the wrong way....
Thats right it is the form I take it in as one thing that did surprise me is that that holds true also for the injectables and that many doctors practices have only just started switching their injection supplies and others are still using a form of injectable B12 that many people's bodies cannot utilise.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats right it is the form I take it in as one thing that did surprise me is that that holds true also for the injectables and that many doctors practices have only just started switching their injection supplies and others are still using a form of injectable B12 that many people's bodies cannot utilise.

Sadly that doesn't surprise me at all. I read an article a couple of years ago recommending people always check that the Vit D they get prescribed is actually Vit D3, not D2. Most docs haven't got a clue about this, and just prescribe the cheap one- which is D2 - which has little effect because it is much less absorbable. Or bioavailable. Or something. :(

I just buy my own. much less hassle, and I can make sure I get the right stuff in the right quantity.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes thats why I went for infusions and bought my own b12 conalamin.... This is linked to your intrinsic factor being defunct... However with it being metformin tablet related... Does the tablet alter the ability of the intrinsic factor or just lower the b12?

Would be better to add in extra b12 through diet and then supplements which are pretty cheap if its jyst tablet lowering levels and can be kept upward.

If it is linked to stomach abilities as mine was... Then injections are the best option.

I know for me my GP investigated me after I was so forgetful. And overwhelming tiredness. It was Seriously bad. He put me to stroke unit. They ordered blood tests and stomach oscopies....and then was started initially on weekly injections.

However..rest of my story already stated.

You need to consider doing everything diet wise to include b12 at optimal levels.

Most docs will check b12 and folate if requested..

ardneham

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE......... Levels rocketting indicating a type of cancer, told you don't look like you have that sort of cancer and then being diagnosed with a different cancer..... Levels of B12 rose and dropped remarkably after cancer treatment. Now off scale again high....
First off though I would look at how much b12 you are getting. From natural souces. And review regulatrly with GP.
Personally I do think diet is foremost.[/QUOTE]
Now that you mention Cancer, I suggest you google Budwig Center, to read more about food that matters.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I questioned this with my dietitian last week... And now got a recall from my GP on Monday to have my B12 checked again. Apprently they were reviewing me on Monday after my Thursday visit and thought I ought to have another tes done.

My current GP is superb and so is the dietitian. Unfortunately my stomach doesn't allow a lot of foods but everything I eat is fruit and veg with protein, calcium, vitamins etc all very, very caefully analysed to make sure I get enough of everything.. Due to the fruit n veg though I am top heavy on Vit A, C n E....
Iron and B12 is the outstanding issues for dietitian and me to establish.

I have to list every food, in detail, every day, start and end of drugs, bowel movement and nausea/sickness etc.... I see my gastro chap next week for my next option of care for my stomach....

Then on top of monitoring diiabetes, stomach I also try to stave off return of cancer with diet too...

Most of the ingredients allowed/disallowed in the Budwig diet is already my diet.. The only exception really is coffee....I also add in a turmeric tablet daily and heaps of ginger, ginger tea, astragalus tablets etc, etc. I am so OTT but my gastro and diabetes professionals say I'm best for the attention I pay to try and help myself... Just makes me laugh as it doesn't make any difference really!! Just that I spoend more myself rather than relying on NHS drugs....

Thanks for the info on Budwig. Didn't know about this.

Sorry to stray off from B12....

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have to have 12 weekly Vitamin B12 injections after taking Metformin for many years. I notice it does say about low Vitamin B12 levels on the leaflet that comes with the Metformin. Has anyone else got the same problem? Also I have been told to take iron tablets - on a trial at the moment to see if I can come off them.

Yes I have B12 injections every 3 months so when I got diabetes this year I asked my GP if Metformin would have an effect and he said it would not if on injections.