Type 2 Metformin, Diarrhea & 'slow release' metformin

JenBry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have recently been diagnosed with T2 (Feb), and was prescribed Metformin 500mg to start, slow start ie 1 per day, building up to 2 a day, then 3 a day, then Metformin 850mg was introduced dovetailing in whilst the 500mg was being tailed off. A consistent side effect has been diarrhea, such that it has affected my daily life. I have discussed this with the practice diabetes nurse, and she mentioned that if it doesn't settle a slow release equivalent can be prescribed. My 850mg supply is coming to an end this week, so will go to see her again and ask for the slow release equivalent, in the hope that it will not have the same side effects. The question I have for you is have you had the same side effects, and / or have you taken the slow release equivalent, and has it had an effect in reducing your diarrhea or perhaps even not? I would value and appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I felt I was dying on the ordinary Met, throwing up, stomach cramps. But on the SR one I have been fine.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very much an individual reaction.. I had regular metformin and the same effects as you then the slow release version made me constipated for days then explosive diarrhoea afterwards. In the end I gave it up and concentrated on diet alone (very low carb higher fat) which has had some great effects for me.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I started on SR so have avoided the plain version problems which many have. Most people seem to find SR really does make a difference but a few just can't take Metformin at all. The SR version has always made me slightly more constipated.

Reactions: Worthamfalls

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
metformin and the slow release is not for me! Diarrhea really bad, to the point I had investigations for bowel cancer only to be told afterwards that it was stress IBS with some food intolerances, and metformin. But was not offered any other solution. I have had a bad bout of a flu bug so not eating much so not taken my meds and it is sooo nice to be able to go out without finding where a toilet is! I am going on the Low Carb program to try and get off meds. I hate metformin!

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On 1g SR Metformin, and it still catches me out now and again, usually when I am in a car miles from a public loo:arghh:

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had "interesting" side effects from metformin when I first started on it, but fortunately it settled down after a couple of weeks and I'm fine with it now

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had bad indigestion bloating and no appetite on the standard Metformin but no diarrhoea or stomach cramps though I went on to the SR and now take 500mg twice a day and have not had any problems with it

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I had an awful time with Metformin - just as you describe. On several occasions I awoke during the night with stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting and truly felt like I was going to die. This went on intermittently for about 2 months. When I went to the GP he laughed and said 'welcome to the world of Metformin!' He prescribed me a gastro-resistant - Omeprazole, which stopped it - also took away my constant acid reflux. I have since been prescribed the slow release version of Metformin in the hope of doing away with the Omeprazole, but I usually find I have digestive problems after a few days of not taking it. However, lots of people say they get used to Metformin after a few weeks, so I hope you will be the same.
Quite honestly, I don't find much difference between the two.
All the best x

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was almost house bound ( or toilet bound ) with the normal met but I have been fine on SR it takes a couple of weeks to settle down and I have had no side effects. at all
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people