METFORMIN & dieting

angusbee

I have been TYPE 2 since early 2000 and I am now beginning to have Diabetic painful feet.
I have been told to lose an enormous amount of weight (over 3 stone) but I am really struggling. I am on the wonder drug METFORMIN which I understand makes it considerably more difficult to lose weight . All weight loss ideas (I am trying WEIGHTWATCHERS at present)...would be greatly appreciated to overcome the negative weight loss effects of METFORMIN.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would disagree with you with regard to Metformin. It in fact helps weight loss slightly as it reduces your appetite. It definitely does not cause weight gain. The essential thing in trying to lose weight is to reduce the carbs. Be careful with WW as some of the WW food can be quite high in carbs. Set yourself a daily carb limit of, say, 150gm and set it lower if needed. Increase proteins and fat to keep you feeling full.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been TYPE 2 since early 2000 and I am now beginning to have Diabetic painful feet.
I have been told to lose an enormous amount of weight (over 3 stone) but I am really struggling. I am on the wonder drug METFORMIN which I understand makes it considerably more difficult to lose weight . All weight loss ideas (I am trying WEIGHTWATCHERS at present)...would be greatly appreciated to overcome the negative weight loss effects of METFORMIN.

The most important thing is to keep your blood sugars low. To do this you will need to reduce your carbohydrate intake considerably. No sugar, flour, rice or potatoes or any food that contains those ingredients. I mean that you can have no sugar or flour but it is possible sometimes to just reduce the rice portion and only have new potatoes.