Metformin Dosages Std vs SR

Scubamup

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just had a prescription renewed and I've been moved off std onto SR. I don't mind as this seems better, and my stomach has been bad, but I hadn't actually got round to asking yet, so I'm not sure why its happened.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I was on 2x 500mg std tablets and I've been put on 2x 500mg slow release. Is that normal?

I only ask as when I was on Gliclazide one 40mg SR was equvalent to 2x 30mg normal ones. So I'm kinda wondering if they've just read 500mg on my notes and assumed SR.

Ta

Karl

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I've just had a prescription renewed and I've been moved off std onto SR. I don't mind as this seems better, and my stomach has been bad, but I hadn't actually got round to asking yet, so I'm not sure why its happened.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I was on 2x 500mg std tablets and I've been put on 2x 500mg slow release. Is that normal?

I only ask as when I was on Gliclazide one 40mg SR was equvalent to 2x 30mg normal ones. So I'm kinda wondering if they've just read 500mg on my notes and assumed SR.

Ta

Karl
I would call the nurse and check. There is a difference between the two when talking about the maximum dose, which is 2000mg for one and 3000mg for the other.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you will find there is no difference apart from the max dose which is 2000mg for SR and I think a bit higher for non-SR. Metformin dosages aren't critical in the same way that Gliclazide are.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The 2x 500 mg Metformin and the 2x 500 mg (SR) Metformin contain the same medication. The difference is in the packaging with the Slow Release (SR) type having a hard protective coating to the tablet that generally ensures that the medication will have passed through the stomach and entered into the digestive tract (small intestine) before the outer coating is gradually dissolved so as allow the medication to then be slowly released and absorbed over a longer time period into the body than the standard Metformin tablet.
If you are advised to take your Metformin before a meal than Drinking a small glass of water with the tablet will help it pass more quickly through the stomach into the small intestine before eating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people