Metformin (Glucophage) and appetite supression.

PennyGeorg

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone! I'm new here, my name is Penny and I was diagnosed as insulin resistant and pre-diabetic almost 10 years ago. As a kid suddenly I started getting fatter and fatter and my mom decided to get me to an endocrinologist, who said that I had some hormonal problems and that my brain had a switch that was constantly on and did not register if I was full or not, so I constantly ate plates of food in one sitting.

That changed dramatically after he balanced out my hormones (injecting Daronda over the course of the years) and later he prescribed me Glucophage. Then I started feeling full, had no appetite and lost A LOT of weight (I was on 1700 per day). 2 years later, I still did not have my appetite back, and I did not feel hungry even if I hadn't eaten in many hours, that resulted to me being underweight.

So my mom just decided to make me ditch the pill in order for me to gain some kilos back. After a week of stopping it, then I started not feeling full, constantly wanting to eat even if I had just eaten! Oh and the worst, the cravings.

I craved everything. Carbs, sweets everything bad. Then I also got depression and until a year ago I reached 72 kilos. Mind you, I am 165m so that was when I revisited my endo and he prescribed me again the metformin. (He, of course, told me to follow a certain lifestyle with it, no sugar, limit my carbs etc.) It was a little after a month of starting it that I felt like my old self. I had no appetite, no cravings, and no hunger.

Fast forward to today. After a year I managed to lose weight and now I'm 54 kilos. My endo reduced my pill intake to just 850 per day because I am and he is afraid that I can become underweight again (now I have a normal appetite, still don't like many things though).

So my question is, Is metformin a long-term appetite suppressant? Because in my case even after years on the same dosage, it suppressed my appetite in a huge degree. Are there other people that have the appetite suppressing effect even after years? (P.s I'm really sorry for the long text.)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It does suppress the appetite but I don't think most people notice that much difference. I had the fairly common metallic taste for 6 months which did reduce my taste for food but that has long gone. In many ways it's good if it works for you to that extent. Just increase the fats and proteins together with lower carbs.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It suppressed my appetite but as soon as I stopped taking it my appetite returned (unfortunately) Welcome to the forum :)