Metformin Increase & Side Effects

alleyw86

Hi all,
I’m new to the forum. My name is Alison. I wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I have recently had my Metformin increased from 1 to 4 tablets a day gradually. I’m currently on 3 a day until next week and I’m experiencing constant nausea. I’m already on the slow release metformin due to having IBS.

I’m currently in my first week of the low carb program too so that’s not helping as eating much less so feeling slightly hungry too. Any tips on things to help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
I’m new to the forum. My name is Alison. I wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I have recently had my Metformin increased from 1 to 4 tablets a day gradually. I’m currently on 3 a day until next week and I’m experiencing constant nausea. I’m already on the slow release metformin due to having IBS.

I’m currently in my first week of the low carb program too so that’s not helping as eating much less so feeling slightly hungry too. Any tips on things to help would be much appreciated.
Hi @alleyw86

You have IBS and they've put you on met? That's just cruel and unusual punishment. *sigh*.

Maybe ask for 3 month's grace period to try and fix your blood sugars with diet before going through with the met? Might not even need it by that time. As for being hungry on low carb, you need to up your fats! And eat until satiated, otherwise you're not going to last long. Eat enough, just don't eat carbs. or very little of 'em, anyway... https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a little.

Good luck!
Jo

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just got up to 4 a day myself afrer starting at 1and experienced nausea and stomach discomfort each time i increased dose.2 at a time i just couldn't handle and that was the slow release.The original Met i had horrendous problems with.Sukkarto less so but still dictating my life some days when have all the signs of imminent diohareaea but it doesn't always materialise? Was told to go 1 at breakfast 1 at lunch and 1 tea. This seems a little better so far.Told to try to go to 4 again if things stay calm for week or so.
As for IBS i can't comment but it seems you and i are part of the people who suffer on Metformin. I've halved my glucose readings in a month doing low carb and of course the Sukkarto. I'd be keen to know how much is down to the diet and how much to meds?